Quantcast

Fast Fermentation questions... Vineco Atmosphere

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Harbrook

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Fast Fermentation.. Rack to Secondary?

Hi.
I just wanted to run a query through you guys so it doesn't become a concern.
I am currently make a Vineco Atmosphere Amarone Kit.
My OG was 1.100, right at the top of the kits target (1.080-1.100)
They say in the instructions that I should leave the primary fermentation for 9 days and on the 10th day rack to secondary if the SG is 1.020 or below.
I am 6 days in and I have been stirring twice a day as you guys recommended which has of course kept the fermentation going nicely as you said it would.
I wanted to check the SG today as I want to stop stirring a good few days before racking so the sediment can settle.

My SG is already 1.008 after 6 days!, is this ok??? Is this normal?

My fermentation has been 100% temperature controlled in a water bath at 71F (22c) this is the temperature the instructions say is the optimal for the yeast provided (EC-1118)

Should I stop stirring now and wait the full 10 days as instructed and then rack to secondary?
thanks for you help in advance
 
Last edited:

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
14,191
Reaction score
11,370
Location
DC Suburbs
Always go to the next phase based on your hydrometer. The calendar is simply a guide. (Most of my primary ferments go about a week, so you've nothing to worry about.)

You can rack to secondary now, or wait another day if you'd like. If this was a kit with skins or wine from grapes, I'd definitely go another day, to maximize extraction.
 

Harbrook

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Always go to the next phase based on your hydrometer. The calendar is simply a guide. (Most of my primary ferments go about a week, so you've nothing to worry about.)

You can rack to secondary now, or wait another day if you'd like. If this was a kit with skins or wine from grapes, I'd definitely go another day, to maximize extraction.
It was a 16ltr kit without skins...
 

Harbrook

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
I take it the hydrometer can't give a false reading by that much due to the CO2 suspended in the sample?
 

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Joined
Aug 29, 2015
Messages
3,397
Reaction score
1,904
Location
Northwest Arkansas
I take it the hydrometer can't give a false reading by that much due to the CO2 suspended in the sample?
That's a good point. I've just always given my hydrometer a good spin when put it in the testing tube because I did see a lot of fermentation bubbles, CO2, clinging to the thing. After a couple of events lately I realize that spinning that hydrometer and reading it quickly is very import.

The reason I say that is the other thread on here with report of the SG jumping back up after several days of fermentation ALONG WITH what happened to me this week. As I was testing my blush zinfandel in primary fermentation, by the time I got my testing tube filled with enough wine must, it had already formed 1/4 inch of foam on the surface. Then as I was trying to read it through the foam I could see it rising up a at least .004 to .006 from the bubbles collecting on the hydrometer.

It does happen and it will make you question your eyes and mind.
 

Harbrook

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2017
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
You can rack to secondary now, or wait another day if you'd like. If this was a kit with skins or wine from grapes, I'd definitely go another day, to maximize extraction.
Should I definitely rack to secondary tomorrow, Do you think its had enough time for initial fermentation. Is it generally regarded as a good idea to get the wine of the gross lees as soon as the wine has reached the initial target SG?
 

ceeaton

Fifth year
Joined
Feb 15, 2015
Messages
5,101
Reaction score
5,257
Location
Southern PA
Should I definitely rack to secondary tomorrow, Do you think its had enough time for initial fermentation. Is it generally regarded as a good idea to get the wine of the gross lees as soon as the wine has reached the initial target SG?
I think the main concern is that if it isn't under airlock now, as you approach your final SG, you will be producing less and less CO2 to form a protective layer. If it is under airlock you'll be just fine for a while (week?) but you are correct, nice to get off those gross lees and into a clean carboy, and if the SG has stayed the same for 3 days add your Kmeta that came with the kit (or even better yet pick up where you left off with your instructions that came with the kit).
 
Top