Mosti Mondiale Fantazia and Island mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
Well, I finally got these all started. I really wanted to try the new Mosti Mondiale Fruit kits to see how they compared with theIslandMist kits that we were all use to. I have to say, I'm impressed with both kits.

From theFantazia line I have the Tangerine Dream and the Strawberry, both of which are zinfandels:
20070505_150557_100_1766_resize.jpg

For a 3 gallon kit, I'm very impressed with the juice consistency and flavor right out of the box. The kit comes with all the ingredient found in most kits, with the exception of the clearing agent.They use SiligelthenLiquigel. The clearing agents use and function is the same as most other kits, so no big deal.

Also doing 2 island mist kits, Peach Apricot Chardonnay and a Blackberry Cabernet.
20070505_151414_100_1769_resize.jpg

To help keep track of multiple kits, you'll notice that I have labeled each box and it contents with a letter. I have all my primaries labeled the same so that I can always keep track of which F packs and ingredients go with which wine.

20070505_151701_100_1770_resize.jpg
Edited by: jobe05

All primaries get cleaned and sanitized. I clean with B Brite, then mix up some metsulphite and water and put in each bucket, 1 at a time and let sit for 10 minutes each.

20070505_151942_100_1772_resize.jpg

Can't see it very well, but there is about a half gallon of sanitizer in there.
20070505_152102_100_1774_resize.jpg

Put the lid on and let them sit. Wait ten minutes, the put sanitizer in another primary and let this one drain upside down.

20070505_152336_100_1775_resize.jpg

After reading the directions a couple of times, I proceeded with the process. The Bentonite needs to sit for 30 minutes in 250ML of cold water, so I prepped this for both kits.

20070505_154126_100_1778_resize.jpg

This bentonite is funny looking stuff.

20070505_154244_100_1779_resize.jpg

Since I have a half an hour, I thought I would start the peach apricot Chardonnay, Island Mist kit.

Started with the bentonite and my drill mounted stirrer.
20070505_154437_100_1780_resize.jpg

Mix it in really good, which is easy with a stirrer like these.

20070505_154804_100_1781_resize.jpg

I added the juice and extra sugar to both the IM kits to bring the starting SG up. After this one, I started the Blackberry Cab. This one looks really good. I didn't get a pic of the must itself, but here it is showing the (new) starting SG. This is not your normal SG if you follow this manufacturers instructions. I have voided all warranties by raising the SG, but having done this many times before..... I'm Ok with that, You may need to think about that, and cry to no one if it doesn't work for you.

Starting SG, 1.090

20070505_155106_100_1789_resize.jpg

It been a half an hour now and the bentonite for the Fantzia kits need to be thoroughly stired to break up any solids.

20070505_155638_100_1787_resize.jpg

Once completely desolved, add to the must and mix well:

20070505_155845_100_1783_resize.jpg

I checked the temp in all the must and they all averaged between 72 and 76:

20070505_160032_100_1790_resize.jpg

The Mosti Mondiale Kits, at 74 degrees have a starting SG of 1.078. If this ferments to below .996, it will have an ABV of 11%. I thought the ABV was advertised at 10% but hey, I'm not complaining. It uses EC-1118 so it should go to dry:
20070505_161127_100_1786_resize.jpg

The Island Mist kits both have a starting SG of 1.090. If they ferment to below 1.000, they wii have an ABV of 12%, which I would be happy with.

20070505_160141_100_1789_resize.jpg

Each Primary has been stirred very well with my drill mixer, the temps are all good, the SG is were I like them so I pitched the yeast:

20070505_160639_100_1791_resize.jpg

I put the lids on, airlocks in and set the babies in line to do their thing.

20070505_160855_100_1792_resize.jpg

I have never done 4 kits at one time before, so this is going to be fun...............

Who wants to help Bottle?

Way to go buddy
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Great job on the pictures too. I have been busy all day getting the Cats Meow Wine Cellar ( My Storm Cellar)ready for stocking.Got the concrete all cleaned,put a first coat of concrete sealer on the joints where it had been seeping a little water and the insulation on the ceiling. Have the rest of the insulation measured and cut but will have to wait unil the sealer dries to install that. My project for in the morning.

Awesome Jobe, Waldo are you starting a wine cellar too? Formaking or storing or both?

Very nice job. Did the Fantazia call for you to re-hydrate the yeast or just sprinkle?

It said to follow the directions on the yeast pack, for which there are none. So I did my usual and sprinkled it on top. This moring, both Fantazia kits are bubbling away and one IM kit is bubbling, so treating the yeast in the usual manner for me didn't hurt any.

Nice job Jobe!!! I wish I was that ambitious. Keep us posted, great pictures.

You will be pleased with the blackberry cab. We ended t 11.5-12 abv but chilled and with frozen blackberries for ice cubes, it goes down like water so don't forget it has a good kick! About 10-12 days in the bottle and it was starting to get good so It may not see the end of summer.

Well done on the selections, and best of luck with the juggling.
Edited by: Mike777

THanks Mike, I was hoping someone would chime in on that one. I love a nice smooth blackberry anything. I just love the taste of blackberry, and Orange.... Hence the Orange dream wine. Can't wait to try them.

I too raised the SG of the Island Mist kits, But not the Fantazia kits, They seem to to be higher than the normal Isalnd Mist kit, but less than the doctored IM kits, so we'll see.

Jobe, I made the Blackberry Cab last year and its definetly a good. I
followed the directions and did not add additional sugar. It is 1 of
the best IM's in my opinion.

I've thought about making one of those kits and not bumping up the SG................ Just thought about it though
smiley36.gif

My first MM kit was the all juice Johan. Riesling and I forgot to use the clearing agents thinking I was already had completed the clearing stage. When I finally realized what I had done and checked on the wine it was crystal clear.

Just checked the SG and the Fantazia's are 1.040 and IM kits are 1.050 to 1.055. Room temp was about 66 so I turned the heat up to 70 so that it will be ready to rack this weekend. I'm not concerned about the IM kits, they may go till next week but the Fantazia kits say to rack to glass with the lees at 1.020. I imagine this is to insure it doesn't run out f co2 with a lot of head space in the primary due to being 3 gallon of juice. I did taste the juice and right now it taste like a hard apple cider / grape juice. I can already tell that this will have great body as it seemsthicker than normal juice, that will make topping up easier.

OK........ Before The pics you have to hear a short story.........

Last week I was on ebay and came across some Muscadine plants that looked interesting. They were really dark, reddish blue. The plants were $5.95 each, plus shipping. For plants that were listed as 3 to 4 foot plants, I didn't think this would be to bad a deal so I purchased 5 plants......... Like I need anymore vines. They came a few days later and I was very disappointed, the lady shipped 8 plants instead of 5 which I thought was nice, except 4 of them were dead and the biggest plant was 2 feet tall including the bear root, no were near the 3 to 4 foot as advertised. I gave it a day to think about feedback and figured I would just email The person and let them know that I was extremely disappointed with the plants, but more so the advertising one thing and then sending another.

Immediately got a reply apologizing and stating that the entire order was being reshipped. Now mind you, this is an individual at home, not a greenhouse or business operation. I agreed that if she reshipped the product, that I would repay the shipping. she was so kind and quick to rectify the problem, I didn't want it to cost her out of pocket. She emailed me every step of the way and today the replacement vinesarrived. Freda went way overboard in making up my order, she sent me 8 new very healthy and leafy vines that range from 4 to 6 feet tall, not including a very healthy root system. So I would suggest to anyone still looking for Dark Muscadine vines, to search ebay and buy from
s.gif
fredal.
s.gif
, you won't be disappointed with her service.

So I spent the evening out side getting all these beautiful vines in pots and watered down for the night.

Then, on my way into the house, I stopped by the wine room to see how things were comming along.
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif
SG on the Fantazia kits read 1.018!!!!!!!!!! I need to rack at 1.020............ GOTTA GET R DUN!

These kits are way to easy... they really are. Instructions say to rack everything, lees and all. I can't figure out the color yet. The Orange Dream is "A", the one on the left and the Strawberry os on the right. the base juice of these kits must be indicative of the fruit (hence 100% real juice kits I guess). However the orange taste like apple cider so far, and the strawberry taste like...... well....... Don't quite know what it taste like..... could be strawberry.

20070511_180503_100_1802_00_res.jpg

This picture was taken just a few minutes after racking, look how fast the lees fall out.

20070511_180732_100_1803_01_res.jpg

So here are all the babies resting nicely till tomorrow when I'll check the IM kits and see if they are ready to rack yet.

20070511_181254_100_1801_00_res.jpg

And for you Wade:

BlackBerry PORT!!!!!!!!!!!

20070511_181450_100_1804_00_res.jpg

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
smiley17.gif

Looking good body and looking at your wine area made me just contiplate
using the peg board on my front wall, I lie it jobe! Nice pics buddy!

Latest posts

Back