Fanleaf virus or herbicide damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Griffith

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first noticed this I thought I had got some drift from a local farmer or the power company clearing right of ways. But I investigated further after find some cane deformation. I'm looking to hear others thoughts on this. Below are some images:

Attachments

• DSCN3660.JPG
    DSCN3660.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3657.JPG
    DSCN3657.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3670.JPG
    DSCN3670.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
No lawn chemicals/broad leaf herbicide. I do use glyphosate (carefully) for weed management. That also what I thought when I first saw the leaf deformation, but then I came across a vine that was oddly shaped. I'd never seen that type of growth, so I investigated. I found some .edu papers on cane abnormalities being associated with viruses like fan leaf. So I thought I'd reach out to more brains than mine. I surely hope it isn't a virus cause those are not really treatable.

Can’t weigh in on what it is, but is it on all vines? If not, my virus experience is use separate tools until you know for sure. I gradually spread what I think is leaf roll with my pruning shears, one vine at a time. I just took out what I hope is the last sick vine. Bought a cheap pair of loppers to cut it down and tossed them.

PS. You might try your local ag extension. They were a big help to me.

Can’t weigh in on what it is, but is it on all vines? If not, my virus experience is use separate tools until you know for sure. I gradually spread what I think is leaf roll with my pruning shears, one vine at a time. I just took out what I hope is the last sick vine. Bought a cheap pair of loppers to cut it down and tossed them.

PS. You might try your local ag extension. They were a big help to me.

It's only on a few vines. I typically sterilize my tools with bleach water anyway. I've read that the GFLV is a big problem in New York. Guess where I buy my vines from.

Ouch. Not guaranteed virus free? Let’s hope for spray drift from the heavens.

A brutal idea I tried on my Temp. Yes a different virus. Prune one back to a couple of nodes. See what grows back. Mine, had the same symptoms. Maybe not scientific but I was frustrated.

The first 2 pics look like 2,4-D damage to me. I'm not sure what to say about the cane deformation. I see a touch of that just about every season in my vineyard, but it is usually pretty rare overall. Doesn't register as a serious problem for me compared to all the other headaches that are going on.

H

Ouch. Not guaranteed virus free? Let’s hope for spray drift from the heavens.

A brutal idea I tried on my Temp. Yes a different virus. Prune one back to a couple of nodes. See what grows back. Mine, had the same symptoms. Maybe not scientific but I was frustrated.

I 've decided to do a couple of things. First keep a log of what I see on which vines so that I can compare with next year. In the meantime I will be more diligent in a bleach bath on my cutting tool between vines. I hope I'm not over reacting but GFLV scares the 'heck' out of me. To combat such a thing would mean to pull the vine and burn it, plus remove the soil and fumigate. And that is at a bare minimal. California has the biggest issue with this, so I would have to study how they manage it. I don't think we have the issue yet in Ohio, at least I don't see it reported yet.

The first 2 pics look like 2,4-D damage to me. I'm not sure what to say about the cane deformation. I see a touch of that just about every season in my vineyard, but it is usually pretty rare overall. Doesn't register as a serious problem for me compared to all the other headaches that are going on.

H

I thought the same about it when I first saw it. Then I decided to Google it, and then the fun began. I hope it's like Goggling a pain to find all these illnesses and then worry about it to only find nothing in the end. Like you said, for once I'm hoping for 2,3-D damage.

I concur with herbicide drift damage in the first two pictures. The third picture enlarged shows some signs of Downey Mildew on the underside of leaves. The shoots can become infected and cause deformed shoots.

I concur with herbicide drift damage in the first two pictures. The third picture enlarged shows some signs of Downey Mildew on the underside of leaves. The shoots can become infected and cause deformed shoots.

I am going to spray again today, but I have been hitting them with mancozeb. Immunox, captan, and Serenade (plus some bug killer) on almost a weekly basis. I do have a lot of fungal issues living here in the Ohio valley region. I have apple trees as well that I have to fight with as well. I'm adding dormant oil into the mix next year just like I do with the trees. Today I will use Immunox, Serenade, Sevin, and maybe throw in some Neem oil. Scratch that, I just noticed the start of veraisin this morning, so I must hold off on the Immunox. So that means Serenade, Neem, and Sevin.

Last edited:
Know the pain. I'm in the South/Central Susquehanna Valley area and this year has been extremely difficult staying ahead of disaster. Everytime I spray, it rains or it's hot and humid. My orchard has been hit with fireblight, again. Fungal diseases are always a battle in the vineyard. Good Luck!

I grow muscadines. Never heard of fanleaf virus. I always thought this was drift, since I'm 30 feet from corn, beans, and wheat. Now I wonder.P5290015.JPG

I grow muscadines. Never heard of fanleaf virus. I always thought this was drift, since I'm 30 feet from corn, beans, and wheat. Now I wonder.View attachment 49812

From what I've read (Cornell paper), GFLV has not been reported in MO. And being that close to an actively farmed field, it could be herbicide. Does the farmer use broad leaf to burn down the fence rows? They mostly use glyphosate to burn down the crop areas, and I can't find anything that says glyphosate causes this sort of leaf deformation. The closest field to me is about 200 yards, but it could still be herbicide (2,4-D) that did my damage. I do use glyphosate, in a limited fashion, to manage weeds. It would ease mine mind to know that that it could cause this.

There is now 2,4-D resistant Corn, Soybeans and Cotton being planted. So be prepared for this problem to only get worse. Dicamba-ready crops are also coming.

From what I've read (Cornell paper), GFLV has not been reported in MO. And being that close to an actively farmed field, it could be herbicide. Does the farmer use broad leaf to burn down the fence rows? They mostly use glyphosate to burn down the crop areas, and I can't find anything that says glyphosate causes this sort of leaf deformation. The closest field to me is about 200 yards, but it could still be herbicide (2,4-D) that did my damage. I do use glyphosate, in a limited fashion, to manage weeds. It would ease mine mind to know that that it could cause this.

In my experience, glyphosate damage does not look quite like the fern-leave pattern of 2,4-D.

There is now 2,4-D resistant Corn, Soybeans and Cotton being planted. So be prepared for this problem to only get worse. Dicamba-ready crops are also coming.

Field Watch has a site that you can register your sensitive crop/location with. I don't know how effective it is, but it's something. At least if you are register and you get massive damage, you have that fact to help in your complaint. If you get damage, I'd also reach out to the local extension office. And to any farmers that you think may be involved.

http://www.fieldwatch.com/

In my experience, glyphosate damage does not look quite like the fern-leave pattern of 2,4-D.

Did you see the images I posted? Did they look like 2,4-D damage? If it is, I need to discover the source. It would have to drift at least 150 yards or more through tree lines. I am getting this on some of the new growth. Here's another image.

DSCN3658.JPG

2,4-D can drift a mile. I don't even make any attempt to find out where it comes from. The only serious thing it has done to me (I think) is to delay my crop. Not a good thing on the northern edge of the zone. Last year there was a lot of dicamba damage all around me.

Latest posts

Back