fall project advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishman

Junior
Reaction score
a friend of mine is leaving the country for a year . has a small vinyard that typically yields a half ton of pinot noir and a half ton of cabernet franc . I am looking for a(easy)?? good pinot recipe (if one exsists). the cab franc should be pretty staight forward I would think . What will this amount of grapes yield in juice appoximatly?grapes are free so I want to make the best of it. thanks art

From what i have read a ton of grapes produces 150 to 170 gallons of finished wine.So 1/2 a ton i would say 75 gallons each. Hope you have a big wine cellar.Good luck.

Welcome from another Erie area member Fishman.

I can't help when it comes to the vineyard stuff, but I met a winemaker from northeast who could probably help you out. pm me if you want his contact info.

BTW, if you do end up with more than you want, I'd be interested in getting some juice from you at harvest. let me know.

Steve

For the reds you typically need 12-15 pounds per gallon, so figure 50-60 gallons per each variety. Have you maintained grapes before? If you have no experience, you will likely get less of a yield than your friend does. Take that into consideration.

Yea if this is your first time basically take one third off those numbers for your learning curve.

thanks for the replys guys

thanks guys . the vinyard is being taken care of by his workers. this bach of grapes was for his personal use . the other ten acres got sold off this year to another local winery. I was partially wrong on the grapes i have cabernet Franc and norrette(sp)? anyone have any expirence with it.. from what I understand it is a good blending grape

Latest posts

Back