Fall Harvest thoughts for 2018

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last two years, I've grapes purchased from Harford Vineyard and sourced from the Suisun Valley, CA. I'm thinking about going south with my grapes this year... and doing a Zin from Paso Robles grapes.

Anyone use these grapes? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thinking about going north myself and making some WA wine. In all honesty though, I've been really happy with the wines from Lanza in Suisun and I'm a little nervous about straying.

Thinking about going north myself and making some WA wine. In all honesty though, I've been really happy with the wines from Lanza in Suisun and I'm a little nervous about straying.

Other than the grief with MLF, I’m happy with the quality as well. The pricing is only slightly better for Paso Robles grapes. I was interested in what the hotter growing season does to wine from There.

Paso Robles sounds like a great locale to put on your wine’s labels to me. I know I’ll be venturing into new territory as well. I wasn’t thrilled with Central Valley. But I also didn’t have high expectations knowing they are the cheapest out there.
WA grapes just kinda loom over head. Taunting me with the idea. The rattlesnake joint. The prices and the good rep have me building up the quality of the grapes in my head. And the idea of the northern climate and later harvest is enticing too. (Kinda sick of dealing with low acid)
Definitely bucking up this fall. Whether I go south, north, or way north is TBD.

I keep wanting to do some WA grapes but havent pulled the trigger. I was going to get some from Lake County but didnt because I was going for the Koch cab from lanza. In hindsight I should have.

Wow, you guys are eally looking ahead. I'm still waiting and excited about my spring grapes and juices. There are a few varietals that do well my Virginia area. PV, CF, Tannat, P Manseng and Voignier.
I think I'll stay local this fall and do all but the Voignier but may spring for some WA grapes.

I would love to get an upgrade in quality with my grape sources in the fall, but it's hard to argue against the very good result I have gotten from the so called "premium" grapes from the supplier here in Philly. I look at the lists from Gino Pinto's and Harford and think that's the way to go, but then when the time comes, I weigh a 2 hour round trip versus 30 min and the grape sources don't seem that relevant anymore.

True believer in getting the best quality fruit you can afford. But I do let laziness get in the way.

Really need an importer of South African, Chilean, Australian, etc of grapes and juices in Philadelphia.

Really need an importer of South African, Chilean, Australian, etc of grapes and juices in Philadelphia.
Maybe there is one that you (we) haven't found yet. I would have never known to go to Harford unless @Boatboy24 and @heatherd had been discussing their wines from there on this forum.

I'm lazy too, Harford is only about an hour away, if it was further I might not visit quite so often.

Maybe there is one that you (we) haven't found yet. I would have never known to go to Harford unless @Boatboy24 and @heatherd had been discussing their wines from there on this forum.

I'm lazy too, Harford is only about an hour away, if it was further I might not visit quite so often.

I'll keep lookin'. But I shouldn't complain in actuality having three places to get grapes within a reasonable driving distance is quite lucky. I would really like to check out Presque Isles and surrounding area, but it's 6+ hours away, maybe someday in the future for a one or two nighter.

I'll keep lookin'. But I shouldn't complain in actuality having three places to get grapes within a reasonable driving distance is quite lucky. I would really like to check out Presque Isles and surrounding area, but it's 6+ hours away, maybe someday in the future for a one or two nighter.
My brother works for the State and sez the easiest way to the Erie area is helicopter...no direct route.

We have a cabin in Tioga County up near @bkisel and I've thought about a day trip from there down route 6. Still a long round trip, but then free lodging before going home the next day. Plus Walkers Fruit Farm is not that much further North than Presque Isle, so you could hit two places in the same day.

The 3rd is Keystone homebrew right? They also have chilean. I checked it out and have stuff not available elsewhere. Pintos and Hartford have identical menus almost. But keystone (2 locations) present yet even more options. And there’s always Corrados
Having options is nice. From $36 Central Valley lugs to $120 Sonoma lugs. Paso Robles, wash st rattlesnake hills, suisun, Sierra Nevada, Lanza I do feel lucky.

The 3rd is Keystone homebrew right? They also have chilean. I checked it out and have stuff not available elsewhere. Pintos and Hartford have identical menus almost. But keystone (2 locations) present yet even more options. And there’s always Corrados
Having options is nice. From $36 Central Valley lugs to $120 Sonoma lugs. Paso Robles, wash st rattlesnake hills, suisun, Sierra Nevada, Lanza I do feel lucky.

Yup Keystone, have'nt been there yet. But have viewed their website and inventory many many times.

If Corrado's is in the mix then so is Harford. So that makes five actually.

I need to tip my 2017 WA Rattlesnake Valley Pinot Noir carboys and see how they are doing....

Nice. A Pinot. Sometimes a forgotten grape to homewinemakers. My 1st kit was Pinot Noir and I think was also my best.
Please report back on the Rattlesnake Pinot tipping. Also what were your thoughts on the overall grape quality?
I’ve been reading some things about the ability to predict certain traits of a finished wine based on tasting the fruit. Apparently after many years some people are able to pick up on certain things. I’m gonna start writing down detailed descriptions of the grapes taste notes, visuals, etc.. maybe after referring back I can learn a thing or 2.

I need to tip my 2017 WA Rattlesnake Valley Pinot Noir carboys and see how they are doing....

Let us know how it is. My Pinot from El Dorado grapes is coming along nicely, despite my leaving them in the cooler at Harford for ten days. I'm thinking of going all Washington this year.

Nice. A Pinot. Sometimes a forgotten grape to homewinemakers. My 1st kit was Pinot Noir and I think was also my best.
Please report back on the Rattlesnake Pinot tipping. Also what were your thoughts on the overall grape quality?
I’ve been reading some things about the ability to predict certain traits of a finished wine based on tasting the fruit. Apparently after many years some people are able to pick up on certain things. I’m gonna start writing down detailed descriptions of the grapes taste notes, visuals, etc.. maybe after referring back I can learn a thing or 2.
The grapes were lovely and in great condition. Tipping the carboy: tasting this after MLF, the wine is still nicely fruity and smells lush.

Let us know how it is. My Pinot from El Dorado grapes is coming along nicely, despite my leaving them in the cooler at Harford for ten days. I'm thinking of going all Washington this year.
My grapes were at Harford awhile as well - they had to call me four days in to come get them because I misunderstood an email.

The Pinot Noir is delish a few months in. Its fruity and luscious. Going to be a good one...

They have Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes from Washington grapes at Harford. It seems like there are wineries making those varietals all over the Yakima Valley, so you can't go wrong. https://www.visityakima.com/yakima-valley-wineries.asp

Can't go wrong making wines the locals make!

Back