Fall Harvest thoughts for 2018

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother works for the State and sez the easiest way to the Erie area is helicopter...no direct route.

We have a cabin in Tioga County up near @bkisel and I've thought about a day trip from there down route 6. Still a long round trip, but then free lodging before going home the next day. Plus Walkers Fruit Farm is not that much further North than Presque Isle, so you could hit two places in the same day.
Have you looked at Keystone Homebrew? They have Washington State grapes/juice in the fall: http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/wine/fresh-grapes-and-juice.html

Have you looked at Keystone Homebrew? They have Washington State grapes/juice in the fall: http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/wine/fresh-grapes-and-juice.html

I’ve used keystone a few times now. Rented a press. Had samples tested (attatched to a winery). Geared up. Place is legit. Biggest LHBS I’ve ever seen. With kit wines and beers on tap to drink while you shop.
They also sell frozen must from Italy and US. The fall and spring grapes they sell are also not the same vineyards available to us like how Harford/pintos have the same menus. Definitely a great spot to have as an option.

Bumping this. I bought two buckets of pinotage, mixed them together and fermented. Could be a bit dodgy since I wasnt able to attend to it regularly and mess with it, threw in some bacteria for MLF with the yeast, as well as plenty of opti-red.

who knows...didnt mess with it much so it may be the best ive made yet

Other than the grief with MLF, I’m happy with the quality as well. The pricing is only slightly better for Paso Robles grapes. I was interested in what the hotter growing season does to wine from There.

I live really close to Paso about 35-minute drive for me, lots of good grapes in the area. I have to try and locate some grapes this year as my vines won't be ready for 2 years.

I have heard great things about Collinswood in Cleveland. He doesn't carry the lanza products but he does have other comparable grapes. I know I emailed him last year and he had some Lake County Cab that I was interested in and he carries Washington grapes. I'm lucky to have CFP in Pittsburgh who carries Lanza products so I would like to mix it up, but I dont feel like doing the two hour drive each way when I can go 30 mins.
That being said I too keep wanting to do some Washington grapes.

Latest posts

Back