Fall 2018 crush and pictures.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Restaurant supply store. Perfect for skimming off the cap.

Glad to hear the CD is still going strong. Hope it brings you many years of good use!

Did you get the grapes from Gino Pinto? I have got grapes from them the last 2 season I never saw his private label. Grapes look good, what were the numbers Brix, PH TA?

Mike

Did you get the grapes from Gino Pinto? I have got grapes from them the last 2 season I never saw his private label. Grapes look good, what were the numbers Brix, PH TA?

Mike

First time buying fall grapes from Pintos. I was surprised to learn they’re doing their own packing now too. At least for some of em. These were Paso Robles grapes.
Fruit was the nicest I’ve ever gotten. No question. 24 °Brix. 3.8ph 7.65 TA. I did a minor adjustment with tartaric given the already high TA.

BTW....if anybody has a need for restaurant quality equipment and your not in a rush...Im usually pulling my companies equipment out of failed restaurants in nyc a few time a week..they usually auction off the entire contents of these places and equipment can be had on the cheap....got a 90 bottle rack from a nice wine bar for 20 bux last month...check live auction websites for places in your area

That’s where I got my commercial sink and few other items. Pci auctions. I used the location in Trenton. Definitely some potential gems. They’ve got places all over the country. The one near Harrisburg has an insane amount of stuff multiple x a week.

First time buying fall grapes from Pintos. I was surprised to learn they’re doing their own packing now too. At least for some of em. These were Paso Robles grapes.
Fruit was the nicest I’ve ever gotten. No question. 24 °Brix. 3.8ph 7.65 TA. I did a minor adjustment with tartaric given the already high TA.
Ironic thing I'd Paso Robles grapes are cheap as dirt for me 30 minute drive each way.

Great fruit.

Ironic thing I'd Paso Robles grapes are cheap as dirt for me 30 minute drive each way.

Great fruit.

Well there’s a lot more than 1 vineyard in Paso Robles. Some might be cheaper than others. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that these grapes I purchased would not be cheaper than dirt even with cutting out the middle men.

Based on my 2 year experience, I'd say the way to get great grapes and not over pay, is to pick it yourself. All the wine I made this year was picked by me and friends and family. About $0.50 per pound is the usual going rate. The only exception is if it's a big name place like Napa Valley where the price is $4 per pound. That's ridiculous. But there are dozens of less well known, but equally high quality grape growing areas here in Northern California.

But if you're removed from the source, it's going to cost more. @Johnd got about the best deal out there for fruit shipped off the west coast. It's funny, I was at Truitt-Hearst yesterday in Sonoma, and ran into a guy from Philadelphia. And he was telling me "a lot of guys in Philly, get Lodi fruit." Like I would have never known that. LOL. I could not help but think of @Ajmassa5983. He was telling me he and his wife spend a month every fall in the wine country. Pretty cool that it's that strong of a draw for them. I was thinking he should stay home and make his own wine!

Well there’s a lot more than 1 vineyard in Paso Robles. Some might be cheaper than others. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that these grapes I purchased would not be cheaper than dirt even with cutting out the middle men.
About $0.25 a pound locally

About $0.25 a pound locally

I get it. But that’s not what I’m saying. Those grapes you can get for about $.25/lb would probably be about a buck a pound if they were packaged, shipped and sold to home winemakers on the east coast.
I did 2 batches this season. 1st one was just over $1/lb — the least expensive grapes available. The Robles cab was about $1.90/lb. almost $70 per lug. Your not getting those at $.25/lb.

I get it. But that’s not what I’m saying. Those grapes you can get for about $.25/lb would probably be about a buck a pound if they were packaged, shipped and sold to home winemakers on the east coast.
I did 2 batches this season. 1st one was just over $1/lb — the least expensive grapes available. The Robles cab was about $1.90/lb. almost $70 per lug. Your not getting those at $.25/lb.
I dont need to as I have cab vines of my own, Cab Franc but none the less cab.

Based on my 2 year experience, I'd say the way to get great grapes and not over pay, is to pick it yourself. All the wine I made this year was picked by me and friends and family. About $0.50 per pound is the usual going rate. The only exception is if it's a big name place like Napa Valley where the price is $4 per pound. That's ridiculous. But there are dozens of less well known, but equally high quality grape growing areas here in Northern California.

But if you're removed from the source, it's going to cost more. @Johnd got about the best deal out there for fruit shipped off the west coast. It's funny, I was at Truitt-Hearst yesterday in Sonoma, and ran into a guy from Philadelphia. And he was telling me "a lot of guys in Philly, get Lodi fruit." Like I would have never known that. LOL. I could not help but think of @Ajmassa5983. He was telling me he and his wife spend a month every fall in the wine country. Pretty cool that it's that strong of a draw for them. I was thinking he should stay home and make his own wine!

Pick em myself? Gotta factor in the plane ticket into the costs man!

Interesting story. I wouldn’t have known that either actually. The only joint in Philly that supplies grapes are coming from Central Valley. Procacci Brothers in south Philly- the place my fam has been getting them from for generations.
I’m assuming that guy was referring to GinoPintos in south Jersey. Aside from Procacci- they are the winemaking hub of the whole area. With an amazing selection. And the Lodi grapes makes sense since the prices are damn close to the Central Valley grapes available. I have yet to purchase Lodi grapes. Its been all Central Valley and Chilè for me until this latest batch

Pick em myself? Gotta factor in the plane ticket into the costs man!

Interesting story. I wouldn’t have known that either actually. The only joint in Philly that supplies grapes are coming from Central Valley. Procacci Brothers in south Philly- the place my fam has been getting them from for generations.
I’m assuming that guy was referring to GinoPintos in south Jersey. Aside from Procacci- they are the winemaking hub of the whole area. With an amazing selection. And the Lodi grapes makes sense since the prices are damn close to the Central Valley grapes available. I have yet to purchase Lodi grapes. Its been all Central Valley and Chilè for me until this latest batch

If you look at the map, Lodi is not a magical place. It is the central valley. It may get a bit of evening cooling, but it's still central valley. Now the places closer to the coast like Napa, Sonoma, Lake County, and smaller AVAs are in fact a different, cooler climate, though northern Napa and Sonoma are pretty darn hot in the summer. Lodi is just close enough to the Delta (delta of the Sacramento river) that it may at times get some evening cooling.

But I did have a good time talking to the guy from "Philly" (though his actual residence was New Jersey). He's close to retiring, and wants to move permanently to Healdsberg in Sonoma county. He was not a wine maker, just enjoyed the vibe of Sonoma, and enjoyed his wine. I thought that was pretty great.

Well
It was a cold one this past Saturday! But the Napa and Sonoma Cab finally showed up.
Did a little Malbec, PV and Syrah as well....

Latest posts

Back