Fall 2018 crush and pictures.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First crop of Pinot Noir Precoce off third year vines. Underripe, but wet weather was starting rot ... so the protocol will be winemaking to reduce green and vegetal character. Brix was only 17 and the TA close to 0.9.

The weather turned wet and cloudy just at the end of August, which had been smoky from west coast forest fires (the tomato garden was late ripening this year as well). And my canopy management, early cropping, bunch exposure probably deserves a failing grade ... which means I can do better next year I hope.

No crushing pictures - latex gloves and hand stripping/squeezing in a bowl for a few hours, lost about 1/4 culling our sketchy rotten or underripe bunches.

Rookie excitement though!F768536A-92D9-4838-94B9-4E6F1F9692F9.jpeg

First crop of Pinot Noir Precoce off third year vines. Underripe, but wet weather was starting rot ... so the protocol will be winemaking to reduce green and vegetal character. Brix was only 17 and the TA close to 0.9.

The weather turned wet and cloudy just at the end of August, which had been smoky from west coast forest fires (the tomato garden was late ripening this year as well). And my canopy management, early cropping, bunch exposure probably deserves a failing grade ... which means I can do better next year I hope.

No crushing pictures - latex gloves and hand stripping/squeezing in a bowl for a few hours, lost about 1/4 culling our sketchy rotten or underripe bunches.

Rookie excitement though!View attachment 51556

Nice looking, too bad you had to pick early. I see your helper guarding them.

We pressed Wednesday, a little too tired to post then. Pressed in the Winery at 68*, instead of the garage at 90*! The Petite Syrah looks awesome. The Cab will be fine I’m sure. Now to wait 2 years for the bottling & final tastings. Roy

Attachments

• BA7DC833-45B5-4868-9844-8716A7751D3B.jpeg
    BA7DC833-45B5-4868-9844-8716A7751D3B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Crush was last Saturday and I will press tomorrow. I ended up processing 27 lugs (5 of Merlot, 22 cab) all from Passo Robles. This comes to 972 pounds. Should be more than enough to fill my 300l SSVC tank.

Compared to the norm, this is nothing. Picked them up, setup equipment, crushed, cleaned and put everything away before 1pm. This was with only 2 other workers. It was a snap.

IMG_20181012_110432.jpg IMG_20181012_110446.jpg IMG_20181012_110510.jpg

We discovered Washington Winemakers this year. They do grapes and buckets as a fundraiser for a nursing home. Pricing was good, quality was very good. Bonus, they had self serve crushing/destemming available for free. The two hour drive was worth every penny.

I only got 4 lugs and a bucket of Central Valley CA OVZ. But I am very happy.

View attachment 51446View attachment 51447View attachment 51448View attachment 51449View attachment 51451View attachment 51452
Nice looking fruit!! I'll join you guys in ordering from them next year. The fact that they crush & destem is really great. I press by hand but like to get the grapes crushed mechanically....

Just called and they said they had most of the juices left. Grapes are iffy. They don't do a very good job with inventory.

So, are you going? I'm on the fence about a bucket, but wouldn't be able to get it from you until Sunday. Baseball Sat morning, then leaving for a Scout camping trip.

BTW . Brix was 26 and ta was .6gpl. awesome grapes!

Did you happen to take a ph reading?

Too easy. Sounds like you didn’t make enough! I’m wondering if Corrados and Pintos brought in the same grapes from Paso Robles. Not sure about Pintos whole setup, but the Robles labels on the lugs say “Gino Pintos”, not Crybaby.
Since Pintos owns their own fleet of refrig trucks then they could do their own packing with shipping and Corrado’s using a sub (crybaby) yet still be the same vineyard.
@JohnT- were the grapes specified to be clones? Merlot- 181 and Cab 8?

Did you happen to take a ph reading?

Too easy. Sounds like you didn’t make enough! I’m wondering if Corrados and Pintos brought in the same grapes from Paso Robles. Not sure about Pintos whole setup, but the Robles labels on the lugs say “Gino Pintos”, not Crybaby.
Since Pintos owns their own fleet of refrig trucks then they could do their own packing with shipping and Corrado’s using a sub (crybaby) yet still be the same vineyard.
@JohnT- were the grapes specified to be clones? Merlot- 181 and Cab 8?
No idea. I already gave my crates away to the produce stand/farm across the street.

Last edited:
So, are you going? I'm on the fence about a bucket, but wouldn't be able to get it from you until Sunday. Baseball Sat morning, then leaving for a Scout camping trip.

That was my plan but I just finished helping crush 16 ton at Bull Run Winery. They are getting grapes in from Cali and some from Washington State. I'm probably going to see if I can get Washington State grapes off them. They have 20 ton coming Tuesday and will help with that as well.

Back