Falcon Kites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
Has anyone here used a falcon kite to deter birds?

Different studies have had different conclusions. So was wondering if anyone had any direct experiences.

For most of the last 18 years, birds have not been a problem, but that seems to be changing lately so am looking into options. For a number of reasons netting and auditory methods are problematic.

Last edited:
I have a couple of "flying owls". Not kites, the body is on a pole but the wings flex and flap in wind. They seemed to work last year. Quail are my biggest problem and they are afraid of owls and hawks.

Edit:

Should have noted that I wait until the last moment to put them up. When the grapes are almost ripe, I put them up. That way the birds don't get used to them right away and just ignore them. I do move them a couple times too.

Last edited:
I have a couple of "flying owls". Not kites, the body is on a pole but the wings flex and flap in wind. They seemed to work last year. Quail are my biggest problem and they are afraid of owls and hawks.

Edit:

Should have noted that I wait until the last moment to put them up. When the grapes are almost ripe, I put them up. That way the birds don't get used to them right away and just ignore them. I do move them a couple times too.

Sage, where did you get those? I been thinking along those lines, as I've got some frontenac that is getting there, but they are starting to work on me. Thanks for any info. Lee

I bought those and 2 regular oversized owls. Just ordered another owl that moves it's head at irregular times.

All came from Amazon.

My buddy used a kite but the wind wasn't dependable and many times it just hung down. All of mine are on 1 inch pvc which adds some motion of its own.

I net, but a cherry orchard next to me uses kites. The move them weekly. Propane cannons are the norm around here for the cherries. A vineyard down the road contracts with a woman who brings hawks. I dont know how often, but I know it is more than once.

Back