Falcon Heavy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that NASA putting the Nuclear Thermal Propulsion engine back on the table. This is fantastic as it's a sign they are extremely serious about a manned mission to Mars. This type of engine would pretty much be required to keep a margin of safety for the astronauts. These engines would also crease the launch window to Mars by quite a bit. It would also make it where we wouldn't have to "pre-send" return fuel to Mars.

Interesting thread as I’m about half way through Failure is Not an Option. It speaks to the amazing work of the 60s. Of course like all maturing technologies, the glamor goes, but good work still needs to be done.

I have a nephew that went to TX A&M got a degree in Aerospace Engineering a few years ago now. He works for Lockheed Martin in Denver. He is part of the team that is building the new GOES satellites they are putting into orbit. He has been living at the Cape for the last 3 months now as they did final assembly and testing and just this past week they put the payload on top of the Atlas rocket. They are looking at a March 1 liftoff. These are weather satellites that are all incredibly fast and of course all 4K HD images. Needless to say very exciting to watch still to this day.

28167670_1803444906367182_5893560967058637658_n.jpg

28056339_1803444876367185_5034906984119647455_n.jpg

28468024_1803444946367178_8931474536604662698_n.jpg

I'm coming in way late to this conversation. Many of advanced technologies of today sprang from the space program. NASA has never had a proper budget compared to our military. The return on investment has been much greater with NASA, it's really comparing apples to oranges, but being a space junkie myself i would much rather of had much more funding diverted to space than the useless wars of the last 50 years.

It is amazing what our space program has been able to do the last 20 years with an ever decreasing budget. And don't forget we are in an era of anti intellectualism and science.

I also think we are jumping too fast to try and reach mars, we need more experience living in space, a larger more comprehensive space station, more advanced propulsion and a science base on the moon. In the mean time send robotic probes to Europa, Titan and Enceladus.

So much more to say, but I'm at work and people are staring at me, like I should be helping them instead of typing or something.

That Nor'Easter is a borderline hurricane. There's practically an eye. And I can say here in N. VA, the winds have been insane today - much worse than the tropical storm I went through in the Outer Banks a couple years ago.

Wind still severe here in Philly. Sirens going all day & night today, one going by now. Our vehicle is finally un-wedged from the tree, feeling we got a away lucky today.

We've been lucky, and haven't lost power. My M-I-L has been here since yesterday afternoon - still no power and no indication of when it'll be back. Same for many friends around here. My sister outside Baltimore has been without it since the wee hours of yesterday morning. I'm whining because I don't want to do my run outside today.

Latest posts

Back