Factors to consider when selecting yeast, and acid/tannins (Non-Grape)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooden

Junior
Reaction score
Hi - I am in the midst of sugaring season and like many hobby maple producers, sometimes end up with more sap than I can reasonably turn into finished syrup when the trees really run.

So, I figured I would make a maple wine. I have been making beer for a while now, and have always wanted to try this. I have been doing my research, and I find that a lot of people:

-use Champagne or KV-1118 and end up with a product finishes ultra-dry and takes a looooong time to age out.
-a lot of people add lemons as an acid and/or add wine tannins.

So my question is:

1) besides ABV, what factors do you look for when choosing a yeast for your must?

-most of the sugars in maple are sucrose
- raw sap is slightly alkaline (is pH in line with a grape must important for fermentation and yeast choice, or is this just to create a wine-like flavor profile?

2) is it necessary to add acids/tannins to get the "must" "to-spec" with that if a normal grape must? Or is that just if you want a wine that tastes as much as possible like a grape wine?

3) looking to retain as much maple character as possible. Willing to wait to age properly if needed. Any yeast suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Wooden

- Fermentation temperature; both the temperature of the must itself, and the temperature/humidity of the environment

- Impact of yeast varietal; each yeast brings something different 'to the table', so some will enhance the body while others will enhance aspects of the nose.

- Yeast nutrient demands; each yeast strain demands different amounts of various nutrients. These demands need to be met in a combination provided by the fermentation medium and the winemaker.

If these needs aren't met, yeasts will contribute various negative characteristics to the finished product, that can't always be 'straightened out'.

The pH ranges (for yeasts) are suggested not because those are where the wine tastes the best, but moreso because traditionally that is where the pH has been and the yeast strains that have been isolated, are optimated for those pH ranges.

Varying from those pH ranges will increase the probability of the yeast creating those same negative characteristics as if they didn't have proper nutrients, even if you are supplying the nutrients. The pH influences the ability of nutrient uptake by the yeast.

Tannins are different from adjusting pH/TA

I've never done it before but it's always been an interesting one to me
It would depend a lot on what it tasted like pre-fermentation.

I've never diluted maple syrup to see how the profile is influenced.

And then what you want to do with it from there..?

- Fermentation temperature; both the temperature of the must itself, and the temperature/humidity of the environment

- Impact of yeast varietal; each yeast brings something different 'to the table', so some will enhance the body while others will enhance aspects of the nose.

- Yeast nutrient demands; each yeast strain demands different amounts of various nutrients. These demands need to be met in a combination provided by the fermentation medium and the winemaker.

If these needs aren't met, yeasts will contribute various negative characteristics to the finished product, that can't always be 'straightened out'.

The pH ranges (for yeasts) are suggested not because those are where the wine tastes the best, but moreso because traditionally that is where the pH has been and the yeast strains that have been isolated, are optimated for those pH ranges.

Varying from those pH ranges will increase the probability of the yeast creating those same negative characteristics as if they didn't have proper nutrients, even if you are supplying the nutrients. The pH influences the ability of nutrient uptake by the yeast.

Tannins are different from adjusting pH/TA

I've never done it before but it's always been an interesting one to me
It would depend a lot on what it tasted like pre-fermentation.

I've never diluted maple syrup to see how the profile is influenced.

And then what you want to do with it from there..?

Thanks for your helpful and thoughtful response, Manley!

Glad to know that about the pH optimization of the yeast. However, how does one find out what range the yeast are optimized to, or if there are yeasts optimized to a less acidic must?

Anyway - I appreciate that.., clears up A LOT about whether or not to add lemon or acid blend.

Regarding #3, maple sap partially boiled down like this, at a little lower gravity than the "must" tastes uncannily kinda like uncarbonated creme soda (but without the nasty artificial sort of twinge) it is absolutely delicious as only Mother Nature could make it! It tastes progressively more like maple syrup as it boils down to approach syrup gravity.

BTW, the real maple syrup I make brings big vanilla/caramel/butterscotch notes to it and tends to be lighter in color than the (real) maple syrup I have purchased from the store. It also doesn't have any sort of bitter/twangy notes I have tasted in regular real maple syrup from the store.

It's truly an amazing taste, and that's why I take the time to do it.

If there is a yeast, that would be conducive to bringing out "Vanilla" type notes in a wine, I think it would be a good start for this.

Alternatively, if there is one that is made for a non-grape must that might be higher in ph that might work too. Otherwise, I will take heed and use lemon or acid blend.

Cheers!

Wooden

Wooden you might want to check out our recipe section I've never tried a mead before, traditionally you would use honey but I would think maple syrup could replace the honey, have you this is just a guess but check it out... If you have any questions see Seth he's good with meads. Hope I helped in some way...
Cheers and welcome
Barbiek

Back