Facebook

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For windows I use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's a free antivirus from microsoft. It seems to be very good, and it's free, and from what we know of microsoft, if theirs is not the best for their OS, it will be soon. I've not had any issues so far. (But I only have one windows machine and that is dual boot with linux)

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

That the program I was using on my daughters laptop! :slp I was using Kaspersky on the other 2 which is a top rated software.

The only reason I joined Facebook was to find a few school friends. I did find one while I think the other just got out of jail.....so.....I passed on contacting him.

I'd love to delete the whole thing but I don't know how. I don't need to know when you are going to the bathroom and was it a 1 or a 2.

People have too much time on their hands.

As far as virus's that's why I use a Mac.

Seth, there is at least one virus that can trash hard drives- probably many. The virus puts the drive into a loop, cycling between ends of the drive. It happens so fast that the heads trash the drive eventually. I got so fed up with dealing with such viruses that I got out of the computer repair field about 6 years ago now. You can tell your computer has picked up such a virus if your drive starts clattering as the heads slam back and forth until the drive totally fails.

Wade, I hope you get things back to normal pretty soon. I will certainly be more cautious than ever after this.

Wow, that is both fascinating and frightning. Wouldnt reformating the drive fix the problem before damage was done? I salute you sir for dealing with people's pc problems as a job. Must of been a handfull of a job m8.

The only reason I joined Facebook was to find a few school friends. I did find one while I think the other just got out of jail.....so.....I passed on contacting him.

I'd love to delete the whole thing but I don't know how. I don't need to know when you are going to the bathroom and was it a 1 or a 2.

In NZ we have an 'old friends ' network.. it allows you to register as a previous school pupil in your pre-marriage name ( nee).

I agree with you Steve.. too many people, giving out too much personal information on those blogging sites.

Allie

Steve, I agree. I like to see a post on whats going on in your life but I don't need a blow by blow explanation every hour. Of course we have to remember we are dealing with members of all ages on facebook also. I originall joined because I have family all over the country and I think it has brough us closer as to what everyone is doing (engagements, vacations,etc.).

Wow, you know it's becoming unsafe to do anything on the computer. Initially, I joined Facebook to keep in touch with my son who lives in Seoul. And I agree some of the stuff that is posted is just ridiculous

The thing about windows viruses for the most part is that they usually come in an executable that the user installs either on purpose (new toolbar, cool free game, etc), or accidentally through some form of trick. Sometimes they come in the form of infected PowerPoint files or something like that, but Microsoft is getting pretty good at stopping those guys. The bad guys finally figured out that their best ally is the user who wants something installed. So they hide in fake toolbars, etc. You may not even know you are installing a virus, and if you click through all of the wizard dialogs to install something, there's not much a virus scanner can do until it is too late. Hopefully it will notice things are bad right after you install it, but these days, the first thing the smart viruses do is disable antivirus software.

I think the oddest thing about this one is that it does so much damage. That's not usually what they do these days. It's much more profitable to set your computer up as a zombie and become part of a botnet to send spam, steal identities (including yours), etc. The fact that it destroys files is surprising.

Wade, do you have any network shares on your computer? My guess is that there was one point of entry, and the rest of the computers fell to a worm attack by the first computer infecting files on the network.

Mac users tend to feel like they don't need antivirus software, and to a degree it is true that they are less likely to be hit by viruses. But that's only because people don't write viruses for macs often. That will change as more people uses macs. There have been a few mac viruses in the wild, and Apple recommends antivirus software be used. Apple took a fairly secure base in the mach kernel and hamstrung the security in the name of user friendliness. The macs are always the first to go down at the hacker competitions.

Last edited:
All i know is I had better back up my important files on my days off this week ,it's been awhile .

All my computers run on a wireless network through a Linksys router which is firewalled and Kaspersky also has its own firewall. My wirelss network is WEP security enabled also and Kaspersky which is 1 of the top rated anti virus systems is updated automatically which is very often as I can see it in my bar.

Back