F Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a Grenache in early October and racked twice after fermentation was complete. SG 0.996. I tasted it the other day and it is a bit on the sour side. When it comes time to bottle, would an F Pack be helpful to mellow the taste?

Thanks

WV

I suggest bench trials with a sugar syrup. sugar syrup is two cups sugar to one cup hot water mix well in a blender. once cool, take about 4 sample of 1/4 (60ML) cup each of wine. add 1/4 tsp into first, two in second, three in third and four in fourth. do taste tests. chose one and calculate needs of final batch. add sorbate and k-meta when sugar syrup added. the syrup will not make wine sweet but will balance the acid that makes it the wnie taste sour.

I suggest bench trials with a sugar syrup. sugar syrup is two cups sugar to one cup hot water mix well in a blender. once cool, take about 4 sample of 1/4 (60ML) cup each of wine. add 1/4 tsp into first, two in second, three in third and four in fourth. do taste tests. chose one and calculate needs of final batch. add sorbate and k-meta when sugar syrup added. the syrup will not make wine sweet but will balance the acid that makes it the wnie taste sour.

Good advice thanks. One question. How much Kmeta and sorbate do you add. There are conflicting instructions. Some bottles say 1/4 tsp per five gallons others say 1/4 tsp per gallon. What is correct.

Good advice thanks. One question. How much Kmeta and sorbate do you add. There are conflicting instructions. Some bottles say 1/4 tsp per five gallons others say 1/4 tsp per gallon. What is correct.

Assuming that you don't measure free SO2 and add KMeta based on PH the rule of thumb is: KMeta is added at 1/4 tsp per five (or six) gallons every 3 or 4 months. KSorbate is added at a rate of .5 to .75 grams per gallon which equates to about 1/2 tsp / gallon or 3 tsp / 6 gallons. KMeta should be added at the same time as the KSorbate. No KSorbate is required in a wine fermented to dry and left dry.

Assuming that you don't measure free SO2 and add KMeta based on PH the rule of thumb is: KMeta is added at 1/4 tsp per five (or six) gallons every 3 or 4 months. KSorbate is added at a rate of .5 to .75 grams per gallon which equates to about 1/2 tsp / gallon or 3 tsp / 6 gallons. KMeta should be added at the same time as the KSorbate. No KSorbate is required in a wine fermented to dry and left dry.

Once I determine the amount of sugar syrup needed, at what point do I add it to the carboy? Now or closer to bottling?

I would suggest adding it about one week before bottling to insure fermentation does not restart. k-meta and sorbate added at the same time.

No firm rule. I stabalize it with sorbate and k-meta, add the sugar and let it sit for at least a week or so to make sure it doesn't start and ferment again. After that you can bottle whenever you like. Arne.

Ok I was going to go the syrup route. Then I remembered a chianti I have that is a bit on the sweet side. It was a bit cold during primary and I couldn’t squeeze out any more points to drop it to proper SG. I was thinking of blending the Chianti instead of the syrup. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back