Quantcast

F-Pack question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyways. Would there be any advantage to save some juice from a kit you are starting to make an f-pack. I am not talking a Island Mist but maybe a big kit. This would be for a white wine that I am talking about. Would it give it more mouth feel and flavor? I know it would sweeten it a bit, especially if your adding it along with an f-pack that came with it. Just a thought.

Goodfella

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing this to make a Port out of a kit. However I do know that grape flavor changes drastically in fermentaion, maybe the juice tastes better AFTER then before.

Also.... I am thinking for Port because I like my reds dry as a bone!!! (except Port)

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Dan this is in fact an excellent question. I have a blueberry (3 gallons) that I withheld 8 ounces and froze awaiting the time when I would sweeten. Obviously 8 ounces to 3 gallons isn't much but worth a try.

Jumping ahead. Ponder this;

If that juice were left in the primary it would be stripped of it's sediment and sugar. Allowing for a greater mass (allbeit 8 ounces0.

The juice frozen now contains the sediment and it's natural sugar. If I add this after fermentation I will have additional sediment (minor) and I will have to lower my sugar addition. Big whoop.

I believe that holding back isn't worth what we believe it is. When fermentation is finished, reintroduce sugar (plus sorbate and k-meta) to the desired taste. You just won't have any additional sediment.

Only experimenting will confirm this for sure.

Dugger

Reaction score
I've done this many times in the past when I liked my wine a little sweeter - it's known as "suisse reserve" and is quite common. It sweetens the wine but I don't recall any difference in flavor or mouthfeel. There was no resultant sediment. I used to save about 500 ml (2 cups) and add it back; I suspect you would have to add back a whole lot more to change flavor/mouthfeel and it would be dreadfully sweet and quite weak. Sorry I can't tell you any more.

Tom

Reaction score
I will PASS on this as I rarely make kits. But, depending on how much you reserve can effect the BODY,TASTE and PROFILE of the wine.
Suggestion is:
In season get a "LUG" of same in grapes and add. F-pacs are hard to do if a kit Easy if juice or fruit.
I really dont suggest that in a kit as the results can be &(^$%^&$

Latest posts