F-pack for Raspberry Vinter's Harvest Fruit Base?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMonger

Reaction score
Hello!

I've got a 3 gallon batch of raspberry wine made using Vintner's Harvest raspberry fruit base. I started it in January. It's quite dry now and just aging.

This batch will definitely need an F-pack since it's so dry and very "alcoholy". Most of the raspberry taste is gone now. I don't know where I should start with an F-pack since this came from a 96 ounce can of fruit base. I was thinking of taking maybe three 1-pound bags of frozen raspberries and cooking them down?

Do I add the strained, cooked berries first, let it clear, sorbate, then add sugar and wait a couple weeks?

Or should I sorbate first, and add sugar with the cooked/strained berries?

Thanks for any help!
-Tom in Scranton, PA

I would sorbate and k-meta first. Then back sweeten and/with your f- pack.

Hello!
Do I add the strained, cooked berries first, let it clear, sorbate, then add sugar and wait a couple weeks?

Or should I sorbate first, and add sugar with the cooked/strained berries?

Thanks for any help!
-Tom in Scranton, PA

If you don't sorbate first you may have a refermentation issue on your hands. Sorbate & K-meta, give it about a week and add sugar f-pack to your hearts content.:b

Thanks! By the way, what should I use to make an F-pack for this? Do I just squash the berries in a pan and cook them? Do I add water? Should I invert the sugar?

Thanks!
-Tom in Scranton, PA

Really!!! I am not a ****! but the instructions are typed out and posted on site showing how to make an F Pac. Someone took the time already. It is stickied

Yep, saw that. But those instructions are extremely vague. For example: How do you "simmer" fruits like apples or pears if you don't use some liquid? Do these need to be ground up, or just chopped? And also I'm confused because I don't know how much fruit to start with since I made the wine with a can of fruit concentrate (Vintners Harvest). I would assume the 96 ounce can would equate to about 4 lbs of fruit per gallon (I made a 3 gallon batch) ... which means I should use between 2.4 to 4.8 pounds of raspberries?

-Tom in Scranton, PA

Yep, saw that. But those instructions are extremely vague. For example: How do you "simmer" fruits like apples or pears if you don't use some liquid? Do these need to be ground up, or just chopped? And also I'm confused because I don't know how much fruit to start with since I made the wine with a can of fruit concentrate (Vintners Harvest). I would assume the 96 ounce can would equate to about 4 lbs of fruit per gallon (I made a 3 gallon batch) ... which means I should use between 2.4 to 4.8 pounds of raspberries?

-Tom in Scranton, PA

OK,
I made the stickie.
For 3 gallons I would go to Aldi's and get 4# of Raspberries (frozen they have the best prices). Simmer them a little (just to break them up more 10min) and add AFTER you stabilized (meta & sorbate). let it sit a month and rack. Add clearing agents.
No need to add water here as they are full of them

Thank you, Tom!

By the way, with fruits like pears and apples, would you add some liquid during the simmer ... like pure pear or apple juice?

-Tom in Scranton, PA

Thank you, Tom!

By the way, with fruits like pears and apples, would you add some liquid during the simmer ... like pure pear or apple juice?

-Tom in Scranton, PA
yes very little depending on the friut. if you add to much just simmer it out.. DO NOT BOIL!

Latest posts

Back