F pack contains premixed sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
Specifically referring to Winexpert Island Mist kits; do the F packs in these kits contain premixed sorbate?
If so, is the sorbate level high enough that you cannot ferment it once blended with the base of the kit?
I know it comes with a sorbate packet to add at the same time as the F pack, I'm asking because my plan was to add part of the F pack up front and ferment those sugars then add the remainder with the sorbate packet to sweeten.

No. A lot of people add half of the fpac up front so it doesn't end up being so sweet when finished.

The F pack contains enough sorbate to stop the F pack (which contains much sugar) from fermenting. It does not contain enough sorbate to prevent fermentation of the full batch. If you are concerned, start the kit without adding any of the F pack, then add it once you see active fermentation.

Steve

Thanks. I emailed Winexpert and they told me the F pack does contain sorbate but (based on what I want to do) shouldn't stop fermentation.

No. A lot of people add half of the fpac up front so it doesn't end up being so sweet when finished.

I've wondered about that. The last peach wine I made was too low on alcohol and too sweet. I'll add some of the f-pac next time. Thanks.

I've wondered about that. The last peach wine I made was too low on alcohol and too sweet. I'll add some of the f-pac next time. Thanks.

You can do a search on here, not sure exactly which section, but like I said, a lot on here add half up front and half in the end. Makes a semi-sweet wine. The one time I did a kit with an fpac, I added it all in the end as my wife likes sweet wines. Ended up perfect for her. Also, I always bump up the cheaper kits ABV. I think the sweet one was around 7-8% to start. I pushed it up to 11%.

Latest posts

Back