F-PAC help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopsyKrett

Reaction score
i have been reading some of the recipes, and i noticed that some of recipes say to add an F-PAC. What i was wondering was what exactly is an f-PAC and how would i make one? would you use a f-PAC instead of back sweetening, and when you make a wine with champagne yeast would i still have to degas?

Thanks Troy,
I see at one uses the search feature. LOL
If its a strawberry ...
Get at least 6# of strawberry. Simmer them on the stove till you can get some juice. I add some sugar to extract more juice.Once you think you will not get any more juice remove the pulp.Try to reduce the liquid. You do not want to cook the berries and get mush. Run it thru a strainer and add to wine. Check the flavor and if not strong enough start over with more strawberry. Then start adding simple syrup for sweetness.
Let it sit for a few days and then add more clairifier to clear the wine.

Last edited:
I notice no one adds pectic enzyme to the fpac.. after it cools.

surely that would help with fining?

Allie

Tom, I did indeed ask about the strawberry, but the question I posed was meant to be a generic all around question on back sweeting a wine. Just moved my strawberry to the secondary, quite a bit of sediment, but not to worried, looks good, smells nasty, I quess that means I'm on my way.LOL, Not as red colored as i would have expected but I am not worried at all. I still have 12# in the freezer for an FPac, but I suppose in this instance it would eventually become an Spac. I encourage everyone to search first if they can. I don't mind sharing my limited knowledge, but when I first joined this forum, I read almost every thread before I made my first post and than I relized I didn't have as much info as I needed. But I was more comfortable askng a sub-qualified question ythan I would have been asking one with nothing behind my knowledge.
Troy

Allie
You can never be to safe add it. I have not yet I am more concerned that there is enough sorbate in it. For the limited amount in the f-pac compared to the total volume is kinda safe. I been doing the f-pac for a while and not added pectic.

Allie
You can never be to safe add it. I have not yet I am more concerned that there is enough sorbate in it. For the limited amount in the f-pac compared to the total volume is kinda safe. I been doing the f-pac for a while and not added pectic.

If you buy pectic enzyme like I do by the pound add it. Its only pennies

Was thinking for large volumes of wine .. over 6 gallons.. the fpac takes quite a few pounds of fruit, so adding pectic enzyme would be worth doing.

just a thought.

Allie

I was sorta wondering that too G. If we are so concerned in the begining of cloudiness etc. And than I dont use pectin in my Fpac, I would inded be concerned about re-introducing cloudiness to my already cleared wine.
Please Advise.
Troy

I was sorta wondering that too G. If we are so concerned in the begining of cloudiness etc. And than I dont use pectin in my Fpac, I would inded be concerned about re-introducing cloudiness to my already cleared wine.
Please Advise.
Troy

It would help for the "hazing" in the wine to add the pectic. !
Now Troy how much would you add to 6 gallons?

i added 3 1/2 teaspoons for 5 gallons and it broke the pulp down before my eyes. (that was for the mango concentrate) For the strawberry I added 3 tsp for 8# of strawberries and 9quarts of water and it broke that serious pulp down overnight.

Last edited:
thank you guys im sorry for asking a question that has already been answered, i guess i didnt search hard enough. next time i will search harder before i ask. but thanks again for your help.:h

heheheh.. what's in the glass today Tom?

Allie

Well I bottled 5 cases and drank what the Wine Gods left. That was a California all juice Mixed Black and a Syrah. Still have more carboys aging that I can count right now.
I did a MLF on 10 6-gallon carboys of Chilean juice the last few days. hic hic...:sl

thank you guys im sorry for asking a question that has already been answered, i guess i didnt search hard enough. next time i will search harder before i ask. but thanks again for your help.:h

Just kidding please ask and we will answer. I think I did right?
Look at #3 message
F-pac = Flavor
Backsweeten is adding sweetness
You would normally do both on fruit wines.
What are you making ?

Last edited:
Topsy, were here to help. please don't take the responses wrong, everyone of us in here wants you to be successful in your wine making endeavours, remember, we are afterall talking about making alcholol products, ask away we will all be glad to help. Tom you never answered the question, If I prepare an Fpac down the road, won't I be reintroducing the same pulp I tried to eliminate?

troy

Topsy, were here to help. please don't take the responses wrong, everyone of us in here wants you to be successful in your wine making endeavours, remember, we are afterall talking about making alcholol products, ask away we will all be glad to help. Tom you never answered the question, If I prepare an Fpac down the road, won't I be reintroducing the same pulp I tried to eliminate?

troy
You would add the f-pac after the secondary and after you add k-meta AND sorbate. Then let it sit a week and THEN add clairifiers.. This F-pac thing adds time to the aging. It will take several rackings to clear.

yes my answers were answered thank you three who helped. i didn't take anything the wrong way i just understand that answering the same questions over and over again gets a bit irritating. no hard feelings here :h. anyways i am making a strawberry wine from the recipe i got from Madriver Wines recipe. it only a gallon... again thanks for all your help. :b

Latest posts

Back