F-150 Lightning reservations so huge that Ford had to stop taking them

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2000 F-150 had 250K miles (same eng/trans), the current 2014 F-150 has 150K miles (same eng/trans). My plan is to buy a Lightning when the current truck hits 250K...in 4-5 years. Hopefully they will have production ramped up and any kinks out by then.

Talking EV is about as safe as talking masks or politics. I don’t see EVs as green, but I do see it as the future. When I drove the performance Tesla and it would have smoked my cobra (replica) with the AC on, I knew this was the way to go. My plan is to power the F-150 EV on my solar panels on the barn. I have no city water, cable, sewer and with some planning, no or limited power dependency.
C7BECF5E-45F4-4E51-A998-3CE0FB47E66C.jpeg

Actually what I meant was the the future looked to be going towards EV. At least you have a plan that sounds reasonable. I have thought of a Tesla Power Wall, but payout vs life expectancy of the panels and batteries is about even. I just don't know if they will live up to the hype. My main concern with EV's is if China decides to stop sell us the rare earth minerals required. Be like 1973 all over again.

Nice AC replica

Put a name on the list and hope and pray that name makes it to the top. Because, right now, the list is so long that some fans of America's bestselling pickup franchise won't get the 2022 model year and will need to wait until 2023 or even later.

Question is: Are those on the list able to reserve the truck at MSRP or is it whatever the market will bear?

My question is how long does the battery last? and do they have a way to reuse said depleted battery? along those same lines what is the cost of replacement batteries?

Fear not technology good people. Technology is what has set the USA ahead of the rest of the World and will continue to do so. As to the infrastructure for power, we already use the electricity to make gasoline. 6kwh of electricity to make a single gallon of gas. That is an estimate, older plants use more, newer plants use less. That 1 gal of gas will take the average car in about 20 miles. that same 6kwh of electricity will take an EV that same 20 miles. You have taken the process of fossil fuel out of the middle and efficiency went up from some 18% to above 94%. The near elimination of waste. You can now drive from one end of the country to the other and fast charge all along the way. As the EVs come the charge stations will increase and the speed they charge too will increase. Remember the 1st VCR, $1200 and ate tapes, the last one you could by for $29.95 and could throw off the roof and not hurt. As to the batteries, they will be recycled as well as new battery technology will make different chemistries available but still usable from the same chargers. No more sending billions a day to the Middle East for oil so they can use the money to kill us. No more worrying how much a gallon of gas cost. The future is bright so long as we don't elect another person that wants to turn the USA into another Russia, Turkey or Hungary.

Question is: Are those on the list able to reserve the truck at MSRP or is it whatever the market will bear?
Refundable deposit, price to be agreed to with your dealer.

The big issue with EV‘s that I see is that currently the majority of US electricity is made by burning fossil fuel. That needs to be fixed and I see personal solar as a good solution, if you live in an area that can support it.

Personal solar is a reasonable solution, if you live where it makes sense. One area where the French have us beat - the embrace of nuclear power generation. There are ways to greatly lower the price of the plants, without fudging on safety.

According to today's WSJ, the Lightning can be ordered starting tomorrow. Also stated was Ford's claim to be able to double their original production numbers and that the base price was to be just under $40k. Let the games begin!

Competition and choice is good for consumers. I've never been interested in Fords, but I do like that Lightning. I'll sit on the sidelines until the dealers are done price gouging though. 🤣

Could be a long wait. They have 200,000 actual deposited reservations. F stock up 24% in the last month. Yay F! I'm up 1,271.53% on it ... which helps a bit with the burn from lots of other stocks tanking. :D

I like the idea of an electric F150 but the bed is too short! But from what little I've read, they need the extended cab to cover the battery compartment and that shortens the bed. EVs are the future or, better put, near future. Lithium comes with its own set of headaches and it's still a finite natural resource, but it's a step in the right direction. Which is away from fossil fuel.

This said, even if if were "perfect" I'd be slow to pull the trigger on a 2022 since first generation anything makes me nervous.

Latest posts

Back