WineXpert Extremely gassy degassing.....and still not done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have been using a drill mounted whip everyday 3 times a day for 2 weeks now and it still foams and bubbles up and when i check its still gives off gas, i'm lost on what else i could do, it just wont degass, what can i do my wine is 73 degrees... thanks

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

It is better if you don't resurrect a very old thread to ask your question. Just start a new one.

After you have degassed once for 5 to 10 minutes, especially with a drill stirrer, what you see is very likely not CO2. You are likely whipping air into the wine and it is creating foam, which can cause your wine to oxidize quickly. Think of this - if you put plain water in a wine bottle and shake it enough, you will get bubbles.

At this point, don't try to degas anymore. Leave the wine under an air lock for a couple months.

The best way to check for CO2 is by tasting it. Taste it; if CO2 is present, you will feel a fizz on the end of your tongue... like what you get with Champagne.

well, as all know here, I have certainly been there....what ever you do...
DO NOT TOSS..
it may not be co2, it may be just still fermenting...
what kind of wine
what was the sg when you started
what is the sg now
did you calibrate your hydrometer

these are all things that were asked of me. it helps to get a better answer from the pros.

Latest posts

Back