Extreme Newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alissa

Reaction score
I decided this year that I needed a new hobby. Since I enjoy drinking wine, I thought I would give wine making a whirl. At the time, little did I know it was such a process! My first step was to read the book Joy of Wine Making, next step was purchasing the equipment, and once again re-reading the Joy of Wine Making. So fast forward a few months and today I started my first wine. Its a Mixed Pear Wine. I have a feeling this one is going to be a disaster BUT it will help me work out the kinks and figure it all out. I wished their were classes on making fruit wines. I created a log to keep copious notes so I can learn what I did wrong. This is todays entry:

Boiled water & sugar. Washed and chopped pears - purchased 2 bags of 2lb mixed pears at Aldi's so chopped pears might've been less. Placed pears in knee high in the fermenter and mashed with 1 crushed Campden Tablet. Poured the hot water into fermenter and added the yeast nutrient. Recipe called for tannin but did not have so this might be a disaster from the start. When must cools added another campden tablet (not crushed) - covered, fit with airlock. 10 hours later added the pectic enzyme (8 pm) and checked PA (directions said to add after 12 hours but I doubt I'll be up and/or sober at 10). Wine did not smell good, not bad just not good. Airlock isn't bubbling but that could be because I haven't added the yeast yet?

Ok so I think I'm rambling....just wanted to pop in and say hi and that this has been a great site for a newbie. All tips and reading materials are welcomed and appreciated :)

are you using a bucket or carboy for your primary fermenter? I notice you say the airlock is not bubbling. Don't use an airlock at this stage. Leave your wine open to the air or with a towel over it. In the early stages (from when you add yeast until gravity is below about 1.020) of fermentation your wine needs plenty of oxygen to aid fermentation and prevent development of h2s. Protecting your wine from oxidation is not a concern until fermentation is complete.

Other than that, do you have pectic enzyme? Something to look into.

Thanks, just took off the lid....I'm using a bucket for primary fermentation. I added a pectic enzyme about 2 hours ago. My recipe is calling for me to add the yeast 24 hours later. I see a lot of posts about waiting only 12 hours. Should I wait the 24 hours or is 12 ok?

first of all, you're going to need at least another two 2 pound bags of pears. Pear is a very light wine and you'll need at least 8 pounds per gallon. Add a bentonite solution after the thrid day of fermentation to assist in clearing. Check out the pear wine thread in country fruit wine making.

You can put it in now.You last posted at about 9 last nite, so this morning should work. If you happen to have kittens or something on that order, put a towel over your fermenter, then just set the lid on. Helps keep dogs, cats, kids and assorted crawley things out, but leaves it easy to get into it to stir or just look at it. Arne.

I think you are a little on the light side of fruit, pear doesnt really come out with a lot of flavor, I would add about 4 more pounds.
the article djrock is linked to for you is excellent.

welcome to the world of wine making,watching and drinking.

Hi alissa,

welcome to winemakingtalk. I agree with James, you need more pears.

Welcome to the forum
Like everyone mentioned - I also would add more pears as well. When making fruit wines I have a tendency to go a little extra strong on the fruit.

Welcome to the forum. My first wine was a disaster but I started with a kit. You are ambitious to start with Pear. Not exactly an easy wine to make. Sounds like you are on the right track though. There are online classes for winemaking and a lot of homemade videos on YouTube that are educational. Good luck with your new hobby!

Welcome!

I`m also in the midst of a pear (mead in my case) from pure juice. As soon as the bloody thing settles out more, I`ll let you know how it goes! Lol

:b

Thanks everyone! I took your suggestions and added more fruit. I didn't have any ripe pears around so I added some strawberries! Strawberry Pear Wine sounds delightful!

Check out the pear - pulpy thread under country fruit wine. It has some good tips about pear wine.

Welcome to the site Alissa! I also think you're ambitious starting with a pear wine instead of a kit (which is what i did). Good luck and have fun with the new obsession...um, I mean hobby :)

Back