Extracts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very interesting point I just realized tonight. I thought everything would be 35% alcohol like Vanilla extract. Wrong? Look at my notes;

McCormick Extracts:
Almond 32%
Peppermint 89%
Orange 80%
Lemon 83%
Anise 73%
Vanilla 35%

Watkins Extracts:
Orange 89%
Cherry 38%
Strawberry 18%
Lemon 85%
Almond 45%

As you can see two completely different companies, different alcohol contents BUT there is a similarity on which extracts are higher or lower in alcohol. This definately gives us another starting point to work from. Now to go buy a zester so I can catch up to Joe and Neviawen.

Alcohol versus super clear

When making an extract is important to realize the difference between using a product like vodka and using a product such as Everkleer. The vodka's alcohol level is nowhere near as strong or potent as the Everkleer so if you're looking for a mild extract then vodka is the item to use, it doesn't go as far or have the bite of Everkleer, if using Everclear it extraction is at a much higher rate and therefore takes out more essence or the oils of the item you're trying to extract it also goes much further when you're trying to use it either by itself as a cello or as an additive enhancer to another product.

It's all a matter of taste and what you think your final product should taste like me myself I always use Everkleer it goes further gives me a better extract product and that equates to flavor.:mny

Today I started two extracts. I started 2 qts of Vanilla extract @ 35%alc. and 2 qts. of Cinnamon extract @ 40% abv. I still ended up with 3 qt jars filled with extra cinnamon sticks for the future.

I added 4oz of Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans cut into 1/2" pieces in each qt jar. I put about 18 cinnamon sticks in each of the Cin. extract jars. I will shake each jar daily. The Vanilla will be ready by Christmas and the Cinnamon in about 6-8 weeks.

Vanilla Extract.jpg

Cinnamon Extract.jpg

extra cinnamon.jpg

Dan that is a lot of cinnamon sticks. I use 2 to 3 per quart jar. Just my thoughts.

Geek, I'll use them for cooking, gifts or whatever. Timing will be perfect for Christmas gifts.

Sammy I read 3-4 per cup on many websites so being the rookie I am at this I just multiplied it out (4c/qt). Stronger extract just means use less, right?

Yes you would use less for the recipe.
I used one cinnamon stick in Apple Pie wine in each gallon during secondary. Just the right amount of vanilla for us.

With the Madagascar vanilla bean, I use 3 or 4 in a fifth of Bacardi light rum. You can tell by the color when it is ready to use. Very dark color means lots of vanilla flavor. Wonderful for baking! We just added some to some fresh black cherry wine. Really adds to the mouth feel too.

after reading all this thread, i added 3 lbs of toasted oak and 1 quart of ever clear, to make an oak extract, so far it is doing great, not clearing as fast , but it is clearing, and it has a wonder full earthen oak smell...

thanks joeswine for a great thread....

GreginND said:
I will second the Madagascar beans. A chef friend of mine just gave me some extract he made starting last May. Leave it alone for 3 months and then filter it through some cheesecloth. He just used Smirnoff vodka. It's really really good.

How many beans and for how much vodka? I definitely want to try this. I thought it had to be steam extracted or something like that. Didn't realize it was easier than that.

I got my recipe right from Vanilla Products USA and they say to cut up 4oz of Vanilla Beans into 1/2" pieces. 35% abv is the norm if you look at vanilla extracts on store shelves. Like Grag I used Madagascar beans.

Yes thanks I'll try this! It will be cheaper and better than buying it already as an extract. It will probably even be better in my soap and skin care making! Maybe I could add a tad to one of my elderberry wine batches for comparison. How much roughly for a 6 gallon batch for a light hint and mouthfeel?

Before finding this thread I had thought a hint of cinnamon extract in DD's dragon blood might be nice, has anyone tried that?

It depends on the strength of the extract. Start with a teaspoon and go from there.

Thanks Sammy... At what stage is best to add this? I'm contemplating bulk aging this in the carboys. They only just got racked into the carboys last weekend. So anytime before bottling or just when back sweetening if applicable?

We generally add at secondary but we have also add it prior to bottling.

Nice thread, I'll have to start making some extracts.
I didn't see anyone using any of the juices from the fruit. Is there a reason for this? Will the zest of a lemon or lime actually taste like the fruit? Or will it simply taste like oily skin in alcohol? If so this won't make a tasty wine.

Last edited:
It is not juice you want in the extracts, it is the flavorful oils. That's why you need alcohol to extract them. The essential oils are not soluble in water alone. The reason for different extracts requiring different alcohol concentrations is all about what is best to solubilize the flavor and aroma oils.

For citrus, much of the flavor is in the skin. It's different than the juice. It's the pure flavor without all the citric acid.

It is not juice you want in the extracts, it is the flavorful oils. That's why you need alcohol to extract them. The essential oils are not soluble in water alone. The reason for different extracts requiring different alcohol concentrations is all about what is best to solubilize the flavor and aroma oils.

For citrus, much of the flavor is in the skin. It's different than the juice. It's the pure flavor without all the citric acid.
I've chewed on lemon and lime skins and they don't taste good . I guess the extracts must add the aroma of the fruit, I just can't see it tasting like the fruit. I'm just talking about these fruit . It sounds great for the other items being used . I just don't think oily bitter alcohol will make wine taste better. If you leave the skin in your lemon or lime aides, it tastes like crap the next day. I'm thinking, that's what a zest extract must taste like.

btom2004 IF you are getting the white pith in the peels it will taste bitter.

On another note. We have many citrus trees in our greenhouse. We grate the skins, being careful not to get into the white pithy part that is bitter. We lay the gratings on parchment paper on a baking sheet and allow them to dry out. Usually a few days to completely dry out. Think dehydrate without a mechanical dehydrator. When dry we store them in zip lock bags or other air tight containers. The dehydrated lemon is awesome in fish batter or mixed with other fish coatings.

Since lemons ripen in the winter we then squeeze out the juice, put the juice in ice cube trays. When frozen solid, the cubes go in a Zip Lock freezer bag to use for summer time drinks.

Thanks for that tip Sammy... I'll try a hint of vanilla in my big red and maybe a hint of cinnamon in my cran-apple cider will see!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back