Extra Sulphite on my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mico1984

Hello everyone!
Reaction score
I was reading the instructions that came with my wine kit and it says
"Wine kit contains very low levels of sulphite compared to commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months you must add extra metasulphitee to prevent oxidation"
My question is How much extra metabisulphite to add per gallon of wine (currently making 6)? I have Campden tablets but I'm afraid to add too little or too much.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I don't like answering questions like this without knowing which kit we are talking about, but ....

From the first instructions I found:
NOTE: Winexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphite compared to commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months, you should add extra metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation. To do this, dissolve 1.5 grams (¼ teaspoon) of potassium metabisulphite powder in 125 ml (½ cup) cool water and gently stir into wine in the clean carboy. This extra sulphite will not affect flavour or early drinkability.

This reads so much like what you said, that I have to ask...did you read the rest of the paragraph??? Is this a Winexpert kit?? If so, which one? It not, what is it??

Steve

I got a Winexpert vintners reserve kit (white zin.)
On step 5 Bottling says exactly what I wrote, nothing else. I've gone nuts looking for info online on he subject and everyone has a different opinion as of when and how much to use.
Last night a friend brought over instructions for what i'm assuming to be the same kit but it has 4 steps and it reads as you mentioned. I guess I will go by those instructions instead.
Thanks!

Gotta wonder if you have an old kit. Not sure when Winexpert last changed their instructions. Sorry, I haven't been making WE kits over the last few years.

Do you have the date code from the box?

Steve

0508 may 2008?
This is my very first batch so either way it is a great learning experience!

Lets work through an example for a Winexpert kit (note this does not work this way on other brands).

If the date on the label is "0730908 0559", then

07 = 7th kit run of the production day
309 = 309th day of the calendar year, in this case early November?
08 = 2008
0559 = 559th kit in this batch

Steve

Latest posts

Back