WineXpert Extended schedule (way extended)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
I started the Winexpert Italian Brunello (with skins) on Feb 14, racked into carboy on 2/20, and planned to go to stabilizing and clearing 15 days later (per Vandergrift's extended schedule) on March 6. That step includes racking off the lees and then adding the chemicals. On March 4 a family emergency called me out of town and I was gone for the next three weeks. Tonight, March 30, is my first opportunity to go on to this step, 26 days late. What do you all think? I've heard that wine tastes rubbery if it's left on the lees too long. Is it ruined? I also started the Nebbiolo one week after the Brunello, so it's just been on the lees an extra 19 days. :(

Started mine about a week later than yours (2/22), racked 2/28 and has been sitting. I'm trying to choose a wine to bottle to free up a 6 gallon carboy. Haven't even added the cubes yet. I only have about 1/2 inch of sediment in mine at this point, so I hope it is fine.

Just tasted it and it tastes fine for such a very young wine. Like Julie said you have it sitting on the fine lees, your initial racking got it off the gross lees.

I've had wines in secondary for a month+ - no issues at all. Were you topped up? Just taste the wine (just to be sure), relax and move to the next step.

Thanks, everybody! So the gross lees are the ones left in the primary bucket? I just racked from secondary and left about 1/2-1 inch of fine sediment behind. I didn't have it topped up because the instructions said not to, and because I only expected it to be there 15 days. I'll make notes of what happened and move on, then! Thanks!

Should be fine without being topped up during that period. In secondary there's still plenty of CO2 gassing of to produce a blanket over your precious nectar... =-)

Back