Extended primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Junior
Reaction score
Quick question. I just started a pinot noir wine kit in my primary. I am 3 days into it and discovered that I will be going out of town. By the time that I return, 10-14 days in the primary will have passed. The wine is in a bucket with an airlock. Should there be any issues with this extended time in the primary? Thanks.

You will be fine as long as the CO2 cap that sets up over the wine isn’t disturbed. When you get back both primary and secondary fermentation will be complete so move on to the next step.

Agree, you will be fine as long as the temp is not to warm. I've left stuff in primary up to 2 weeks with no ill effects.

If it is not a skin kit, you will be fine. The new WE instruction asks you do that anyway.
But for skin kit, it needs daily punch down.

Thank you all. I love this forum and all of the knowledgeable winemakers willing to share their experiences.

related question: how does one know when to go from the primary trashcan/bucket to the secondary carboy?
@Mdrew I like to let my batches go to less than 1.0 to rack for a few reasons: less foaming; less headspace required since fermentation is less active; haven't had any issues in 5+ years with that process. Sometimes I'll let them go to dry (0.990ish) in the primary and then rack. Just depends on when I have time.

So, here's what I'm looking at now. On 2/14/18 I started at 1.102 SG, and after six days, on 2/20/18, I'm down to 1.002 SG. I can decant today into carboy and some single gallons, or I can wait until 3/8/18, for 22 days in primary fermenter. Any thoughts? Is the color change interesting?start.jpg today.jpg

Latest posts

Back