Extended maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
ive been reading about EM. One thing I read is that some winemakers do em for long periods - as long as 100 days - with constant taste testing. But they remove seeds and torn skins - they only leave the “best” skins in contact with the wine.

I’m wondering how that separation of seeds and torn skins physically gets done?

TIA

I’ll answer my own post - and it’s just from research - not from any experience.

It seems some will separate the cap from the wine, then remove seeds and torn skins somehow (a screen?) and then reintroduce the more whole skins to the wine. This is evidently an old technique that is being used again.

Some will use conical bottom tanks. The seeds will sink and become concentrated in the bottom of the tank - thereby having more contact with each other - and less contact with the liquid.

And it’s not a removal - but gentler crushing is used to minimize torn skins and broken seeds. Then the separation of press run from free run at press helps keep control of the seed tannins and allows them to be reintroduced in a controlled manner through blending of the press run.

The idea is that the chemical components desired to be controlled are much more concentrated in the seeds - but the number of seeds in a grape can vary from season to season, and from location to location in a vineyard. So observing the numbers of seeds plays a part in the decisions.

I’ll keep looking into this as time permits.

The main issue with seed tannins is maturity, green under ripe seeds can cause bitterness in the resulting wine. I don't like removing the seeds as long as they are ripe brown and crunchy, however I do prefer a tannic wine that will keep well in the cellar. If you are looking to produce a fruit forward early to drink wine, then maybe seed removal is appropriate.

Latest posts

Back