Other Extended Maceration Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked to glass after 7 weeks EM and Put it to sleep for 18 months. Sample was as expected

Following up on my first ever EM, I had no issues with excess foaming in Primary, and after 5 days my SG is already 0.998. The skin bag is just barely afloat now, so expect that to sink within the next couple of days. (Have had it held to the bottom with a long stirring spoon this entire time.)
Decided to put a lid and air-lock on it now to get a good blanket of CO2 on it. So now it’s the waiting game, huh?
HOWEVER, Im not clear on whether or not Im supposed to manipulate the skin bag from this point onward or not. Can someone chime in? Thx!

I would continue at least rocking it back and forth daily until maybe the 2 week mark. Skins should be sunk by then.

By the way, does anyone else think that this fermented REALLY fast? Down to .998 in only 5 days. Is there any risk associated with that? In the past dozen kits I've made, it's taken up to the 2-week mark to get those numbers. This was a 2-yeast strain kit. EC-1118 & RC-212. Maybe that had something to do with it?

I'm on my 3rd EM Red wine kit with grape skins. My first two I used Red Star Premier Cuvee (same as EC-1118) and it only took 5 days at 83 to 78 deg (I'm in Florida). My 3rd kit (RJS Super Tuscan) I switched the Red Star Premier Rouge and it's on day 11 and still just getting finished - fermenting much slower this time.

What I do with the grape skin bag is after it sinks and stays down, I stop stirring/squeezing it and I tie cotton strings to the ends and gorilla tape them to the sides of the plastic bucket so that the bag sinks but is suspended about half way down the bucket (not sitting on the gross lees). I seal it up and let it EM untouched another two weeks, for a total of 4 weeks in primary. The day before racking I'll pull up the bag and squeeze it dry and toss it, then let the bucket sit another 24 hours to settle any disturbed lees and then rack for clearing.

I'm on my 3rd EM Red wine kit with grape skins. My first two I used Red Star Premier Cuvee (same as EC-1118) and it only took 5 days at 83 to 78 deg (I'm in Florida). My 3rd kit (RJS Super Tuscan) I switched the Red Star Premier Rouge and it's on day 11 and still just getting finished - fermenting much slower this time.

What I do with the grape skin bag is after it sinks and stays down, I stop stirring/squeezing it and I tie cotton strings to the ends and gorilla tape them to the sides of the plastic bucket so that the bag sinks but is suspended about half way down the bucket (not sitting on the gross lees). I seal it up and let it EM untouched another two weeks, for a total of 4 weeks in primary. The day before racking I'll pull up the bag and squeeze it dry and toss it, then let the bucket sit another 24 hours to settle any disturbed lees and then rack for clearing.
Now that is an excellent idea! I bet dental floss would work well, and perhaps provide a better seal under that o-ring. I’m gonna steal your idea, if I may! Thank you.

Never thought of dental floss! I'm gonna steal that one. I'd rather drape it over the seal then try to tape to the inside of the bucket anyway. :)

I am about to do my second kit with EM, the WE Italian Sangiovese (formerly called Brunello style). I am wondering whether to leave out the bentonite. My first kit was the LE18 Barbaresco, 8 week EM, and I did use bentonite. But upon tasting it was rather thin and watery although I followed the directions exactly other than the EM and skipping the other finings and additives. Did bentonite affect the flavor to that extent? Do people generally skip bentonite for an 8 week EM?

Bentonite? I've made many kits and have outstanding wines. I have not used bentonite since my first two kits. But, I'm not in any hurry to seriously drink (Taste? Yes...) my wine until it's been aging/bottled for two years. Replace ALL clearing agents (bentonite, chitosan/kieselsol) with time.

Skip the sorbate on all DRY reds too...

Last edited:
Thanks, must is made up sans bentonite, rehydrating BM4x4 now.

Weird, I wonder why the LE18 came out like that. Welp, it's in the carboy now, will just see what happens in 8 months or so. Worst case it will make some fancy red wine vinegar ;)

Thanks, must is made up sans bentonite, rehydrating BM4x4 now.

Weird, I wonder why the LE18 came out like that. Welp, it's in the carboy now, will just see what happens in 8 months or so. Worst case it will make some fancy red wine vinegar ;)
I share your pain on a LE16 Cab/Gren blend. It's surprisingly light. And like you, I mostly followed the directions minus the additives. I've tested 2 bottles and I hope it will develop into something more than it is now. My plan is to leave it undisturbed until next summer. Wait and see...

Latest posts

Back