Other Extended Maceration Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely keep going, I am on my 6th EM and I run at least 8 weeks, it has definitely improved the wines, can't wait to taste them after they have aged a couple of years.

Typically I lock it down after one week and don't open it, slosh it back and forth to keep the skins wet. If opened after active fermentation has ended I would add kmeta.

I just went to bottle half of this batch after 11months to free up a 6 gallon carboy. I was not sure if it would be too early but we ended up drinking close to 3 bottles with guests over. It was much better than expected as may say this wine opens up at 18 months. I’m thinking the extended maceration helped.

My kit directions tell me to punch down my skins twice a day for 14 days, then rack to a secondary. I put the skins directly into the must with out a bag. I’m now on day 8 and am considering closing the lid and keeping it closed for another 3 weeks. My SG measured 1.000 tonight. For those of you with experience doing extended maceration, does this sound ok? Is there anything I should do before leaving everything alone for that long?

Last edited:
This is a good time to close the lid. Once you do I recommend sloshing the fermenter everyday till the skins fall. By that I mean rocking it side to side to get the wine moving so that it covers the cap and keeps the skins wet and in contact. Eventually they will fall. You have more fermenting to go and that will produce all the CO2 you need to protect everything. Plus sloshing will release even more CO2. Enjoy.

This is a good time to close the lid. Once you do I recommend sloshing the fermenter everyday till the skins fall. By that I mean rocking it side to side to get the wine moving so that it covers the cap and keeps the skins wet and in contact. Eventually they will fall. You have more fermenting to go and that will produce all the CO2 you need to protect everything. Plus sloshing will release even more CO2. Enjoy.

Ok. I think that’s what I’ll do!

Okay, ordered a Spiedel 30L fermenter (forgot to order the nicer spigot, but I can do that soon enough), it should arrive on Friday. I like the idea of 0.9 gallons more of headroom, especially with a summer ferment (Basement sez it's at 67*F). I have a SE Int'l Italian Brunello w/skins kit to try this out on. I'm leaning towards no grapes this Fall since I have had a few bills pop up I didn't expect (11 yr old daughter just had her 2nd Orthodontist appt, yikes). Thanks for all of you who have logged your experiences on this thread, it is very helpful.

Last edited:
Okay, ordered a Spiedel 30L fermenter (forgot to order the nicer spigot, but I can do that soon enough), it should arrive on Friday. I like the idea of 0.9 gallons more of headroom, especially with a summer ferment (Basement sez it's at 67*F). I have a SE Int'l Italian Brunello w/skins kit to try this out on. I'm leaning towards no grapes this Fall since I have had a few bills pop up I didn't expect (11 yr old daughter just had her 2nd Orthodontist appt, yikes). Thanks for all of you who have logged your experiences on this thread, it is very helpful.

My next kit on deck is the same as yours. I have high hopes for this one.

My next kit on deck is the same as yours. I have high hopes for this one.
I did that kit the traditional way and I think it turned out really well. It's almost 28 months old and is very enjoyable. I'm hoping the new method makes it that enjoyable at about 18 months (high hopes). Until I find a Harford grapes replacement (and save some money), I will probably be making more red kits than I normally do.

I've been eyeing those! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I've got two EMs going in buckets (I think they are 6.5 or maybe 7 gallons) but there's not too much head space. Just yesterday they were at about 1.050 SG. I was planning to open them every day and stir until 1.020, when the directions say to rack to secondary, and cap the buckets for good instead. Then slosh for a couple weeks, and finally let sit until week 8. Thoughts? I'm seeing some suggestions here to stop the EM when the cap falls, but I won't be able to see into the buckets.

I've been eyeing those! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
I saw earlier in this thread where @Brian55 recommended it, and since it was on sale I decided to purchase it. According to FedEx tracking, it's on my front porch or just inside the door, depending on which kid greeted the driver when it arrived. Since our "wet cycle" is supposed to start up again this weekend, I plan on starting the kit by Sunday night.

FYI, I did start the SE Int'l w/skins Brunello yesterday. Had to first add water and mark off levels for the standard gallon amounts (I did 4, 5, 6 and 7) on the side of the Speidel fermenter before mixing up the kit. Lot's of head room. @Boatboy24 and I have been conversing whether it's too much or not. Hoping @Brian55 will add his thoughts about using the fermenter if he stops by the thread. It smelled good, measured about 1.085 (I'm sure it's higher once the skins got incorporated, should probably check that tonight). Skins and oak are free floating, RC 212 instead of the EC-1118 used. Going gang busters, room temp at about 73*F. Used Go ferm to hydrate the yeast (it had a date of 7-2018) and put 1/2 of my Fermaid O in this morning. Will move to the cooler basement once terminal gravity is reached. Plan on letting it ride for 6+ weeks if I can for my first EM batch. Not too worried about too much oxygen, I ignore wines to the max and have only ever had one batch go to the dark side (vinegar), and that one had a loose bung and airlock.

Came home today, it's fermenting away, but the airlock wasn't showing a thing. Finally figured out I had the inner part of the top cap upside down and the gasket wasn't sealed properly (image shown is not the correct way to have it). Once again proof that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

8-12-18_speidel-30L.jpg

This is correct:

8-13-18_speidel.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, I did start the SE Int'l w/skins Brunello yesterday. Had to first add water and mark off levels for the standard gallon amounts (I did 4, 5, 6 and 7) on the side of the Speidel fermenter before mixing up the kit. Lot's of head room. @Boatboy24 and I have been conversing whether it's too much or not. Hoping @Brian55 will add his thoughts about using the fermenter if he stops by the thread. It smelled good, measured about 1.085 (I'm sure it's higher once the skins got incorporated, should probably check that tonight). Skins and oak are free floating, RC 212 instead of the EC-1118 used. Going gang busters, room temp at about 73*F. Used Go ferm to hydrate the yeast (it had a date of 7-2018) and put 1/2 of my Fermaid O in this morning. Will move to the cooler basement once terminal gravity is reached. Plan on letting it ride for 6+ weeks if I can for my first EM batch. Not too worried about too much oxygen, I ignore wines to the max and have only ever had one batch go to the dark side (vinegar), and that one had a loose bung and airlock.

Came home today, it's fermenting away, but the airlock wasn't showing a thing. Finally figured out I had the inner part of the top cap upside down and the gasket wasn't sealed properly (image shown is not the correct way to have it). Once again proof that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

View attachment 50395

This is correct:

View attachment 50396
I don't put it under airlock until fermentation starts to slow down. Never had an issue with to much head room since there's no oxygen exposure once it's under airlock.
Where's the spigot? That's one of the best parts, then you can simply put a hose on it and drain it into a carboy. It also makes an excellent bottling bucket, but I have the upgraded spigot which definitely helps in that regard.

I don't put it under airlock until fermentation starts to slow down. Never had an issue with to much head room since there's no oxygen exposure once it's under airlock.
Where's the spigot? That's one of the best parts, then you can simply put a hose on it and drain it into a carboy. It also makes an excellent bottling bucket, but I have the upgraded spigot which definitely helps in that regard.
That's why the spigot isn't on there, I haven't ordered the $16 one yet. I was worried by some of your earlier comments that the one that comes with it might have leaked a bit or something. Thanks for the comments!

That's why the spigot isn't on there, I haven't ordered the $16 one yet. I was worried by some of your earlier comments that the one that comes with it might have leaked a bit or something. Thanks for the comments!
Didn't leak, just wasn't nearly as robust as the stainless one, especially for bottling. Not sure why they bother with the plastic one, it should come with the stainless included.

Didn't leak, just wasn't nearly as robust as the stainless one, especially for bottling. Not sure why they bother with the plastic one, it should come with the stainless included.

I couldn’t figure out the top an ended up somehow getting a standard bubbler on top. IMG_1534207116.011358.jpg

I couldn’t figure out the top an ended up somehow getting a standard bubbler on top. View attachment 50397
Nice Rube Goldberg you've got going there. All you needed to do is fill the cup to the line with SO2 and drop the orange cap into it. Besides that, you shouldn't be able to see the white o-ring if the top is screwed on correctly.

Latest posts

Back