Other Extended Maceration Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I use and am quite happy with my Speidel fermenter for extended maceration FWIW.

Brian,

Thank you for posting that. I thought I was on his list for being notified when it came out, apparently not. He certainly has a palette that I will never have and I take him at his word for his tasting. It's great that he see's the EM kit as superior, or at least different and more mature at the same point in time. That's been a consistent finding of his all the way through this experiment. That was my experience as well till the last tasting, which could have been biased by the circumstances.

It's good to have feedback and tasting notes from an expert, and not just me and my caveman palette, e.g.,: "uh, good."

It's EM from here on out for me: Ease of preparation; fewer cleanups; less residual gas; different, if not superior results. Plus I like to watch the bubbles go up the Fermonster.

Step two... select a kit. I wrestled with this a bit until it dawned on me that I'm down to my last case of WineExpert SE Amarone w/skins. The wine is almost two years old and will give me a good point of comparison for what an extended maceration will do for a wine. I plan to start my experiment over the Christmas holiday.

From what I recall, this kit had a big earthy smell (more mushroom and dirt than rotten egg) due to the combination of Hungarian oak dust and beefy Italian red wine. The smell came on around day three and faded away by day 6 of primary fermentation. I'll keep an eye (and nose) out for that. But otherwise, I'm ready to tackle my first EM experiment.

I'm planning to add a healthy cup or so of raisins to the primary, and some tannin. I have a good amount of Tannin FT Rouge in stock I think. If my math is right, I'll need 1.5 -2 gr for 6 gallons of wine.

Last edited:
Step two... select a kit. I wrestled with this a bit until it dawned on me that I'm down to my last case of WineExpert SE Amarone w/skins. The wine is almost two years old and will give me a good point of comparison for what an extended maceration will do for a wine. I plan to start my experiment over the Christmas holiday.
Oaky (Freudian slip), twist my arm, I'll be over to help you taste test the wine once it ages a bit...

Many pages to read...lol, so question....
I always ferment in an open juice bucket and let the product go dry into the 0.99x.
I then transfer the wine leaving all the goop/gross lees behind.

On this EM experiment if I still use the juice bucket for fermentation....once I rack I assume the grapes need to be transferred over as well, don't toss them, and then let the EM process start at this point in my air clocked carboy? If so, then the grape pack should definitely go into the mesh bag since I cannot imagine scooping up the skins from the goop...

Once air locked, I assume frequent stirring as well.

Varis, that sounds about right. But a couple thoughts. You mentioned racking to a carboy, if you’re talking about a normal necked carboy you would have a mess trying to get a grape skin pack through it. If you meant a wide mouth bubbler or fermonster then it’s still a bit of a mess, but quite doable. Aside from that I’m not sure what effect there my going from a bucket to a carboy for EM. I’ve read that grape wine makers who do EM often talk about it terms of 2 to 3 weeks on skins instead of the 6-8 that I’ve done with kits. You might want to look into seeing if you can just keep it in primary for a few more weeks to achieve a similar effect. I would be concerned about losing the CO2 cap though. I’m not sure how grape wine makers do EM to reduce oxidation.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

The issue is that my primary bucket fermenter does not have air lock.
Plus, once the SG went dry I don’t think you want to stir the goop sediment sitting in the bottom but rather rack it to carboy.
In carboy, the skins could be left lose instead of the mesh bag.

Or this EM experiment really is about leaving the goop and let the wine sit for a long time on it?

I’m not sure if it’s in spite of the goop, or if the goop adds to the overall positive experience. I don’t stir mine after the first week because I don’t want to drive off the CO2 cap. Instead, in the fermonster I will slosh it around for the second week to keep the skins bag wet. It will fall about day 21 or so and then you leave it alone.

My guess is that it’s a combination of the skins and yeast that contribute. Since there’s no leaves or stems like a true grape wine might have there’s no issue of gross lees or green tannins that we want to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back