Extended Maceration and temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in extended maceration (EM) and cooler temps? I have a combination of whites and reds fermenting in my thermostatically controlled fermentation room. I'm ready for the whites to chill down a bit but I have two reds in EM for the next month or so.

In your experience, can I cool the room and keep the EM sound?

When doing EM, should the wine be stirred daily? Weekly? Nor at all?
I’ve got a Eclipse Lodi Cab ii in day 3 of EM. Just wondering what you guys have done. I want to let it go 2 weeks before adding the Kmeta and additional oak. Thanks

When doing EM, should the wine be stirred daily? Weekly? Nor at all?
I’ve got a Eclipse Lodi Cab ii in day 3 of EM. Just wondering what you guys have done. I want to let it go 2 weeks before adding the Kmeta and additional oak. Thanks

I punch mine down twice a day for two weeks. By then, the grapes have lost most of their buoyancy. So I dose (if they’re done fermenting), seal it up with a lid and a bubbler, and slosh my wine once a day till the grapes sink. The I just leave it alone till the EM is complete.

I punch mine down twice a day for two weeks. By then, the grapes have lost most of their buoyancy. So I dose (if they’re done fermenting), seal it up with a lid and a bubbler, and slosh my wine once a day till the grapes sink. The I just leave it alone till the EM is complete.
Are you guys racking it off the Lee's before leaving it for 6 weeks In the primary bucket?

I have the Lodi Cab I in a FastFerment conical and plan to remove the collection ball this weekend, add kmeta, add the oak, fill the ball with co2, reattach quickly, then open the valve and let it EM for another 3 weeks. I’m planning o leave the bag of skins in there for another 3 week EM.

Anyone have knowledge of doing extended maceration on dry skins? Same benefits? Just started the RJS Amarone Classico. Wondering if it’s worth the trouble.

Anyone have knowledge of doing extended maceration on dry skins? Same benefits? Just started the RJS Amarone Classico. Wondering if it’s worth the trouble.
Yes, yes probably more so than wet skins, nice kit, and yes.

Nope. That's the whole idea.

Wouldn't the risk be that we would get off flavor by leaving it on the lees? I Do have a bucket that I drilled out for a bubbler which seals tight, would this be sufficient for this? The only concern I have is oxidation but I guess we are all putting in sulphites and sealing it up, even a lot of kit manufacturers are saying to not top up anymore as the headspace in the carboy wont cause any problems for the 3 weeks the wine is clearing.

Most of us are using fermonsters or big mouth bubbles for EMs, I have done 7 or 8 EMs so far the longest being 9-10 weeks. I have done these with RJS dried skins the wet jammie skins from WE, CC, and RJS and the all grape packs from MM. They have all been successful with no off flavours. I am interested jgmann67s attempts with shorter times but have more or less standardized mine on 2 months. The various wet grape packs need pressing (or squeezing the bag) when done, the dry skins I float loose and just rack off them at the end.

Most of us are using fermonsters or big mouth bubbles for EMs, I have done 7 or 8 EMs so far the longest being 9-10 weeks. I have done these with RJS dried skins the wet jammie skins from WE, CC, and RJS and the all grape packs from MM. They have all been successful with no off flavours. I am interested jgmann67s attempts with shorter times but have more or less standardized mine on 2 months. The various wet grape packs need pressing (or squeezing the bag) when done, the dry skins I float loose and just rack off them at the end.

I’m going to do a 5-6 week with my next red kit. Probably ordering it in May.

Doing my first EM, locked down the primary lid with airlock at SG .998. Did not add any K-met, shooting for around a 4 week EM. It's been about 9 days, There is still positive pressure in the primary bucket from the last bit of fermentation that took place, what do you all think, will be OK or should I open the primary and dose I with K-met?

BigSell, I have done dozens of EM's this same way - without K-Meta - which I add after I press the muslin bag with my fruit press. I typically go 60 days in EM.

Don't open the vessel. Even if the pressure stabilizes and shows neutral or negative. If you move the fermentor to a cooler space, your airlock will show negative because the contents will begin to cool and CO2 will contract and create negative pressure. If that happens, I assure you it is fine.

You'll have noticeably better wine; fuller, more tannic and rich in color. Do yourself a favor and skip the Sorbate. You don't need it or want it.

Thanks George,
Appreciate the guidance, lowered the temp today from 76 to ambient around 68 for the duration. As I have experienced liquid sucked from the airlock when moving to cooler temps I use 50/50 vodka/water. Then silicone venting stoppers on the carboy. I always skip the sorbate and age in glass carboy for at least a year before bottling.

What I have read suggests tasting the wine every other day during EM and then re-gasing.
They suggest there is a dark period between 14 and 21 days?
I would like to seal it up gas it and wait at least 21 days to open and test?

What I have read suggests tasting the wine every other day during EM and then re-gasing.
They suggest there is a dark period between 14 and 21 days?
I would like to seal it up gas it and wait at least 21 days to open and test?

Seal it up as fermentation slows (Day 6 or so) and do not open until you rack at 8 weeks. Slosh the fermenter to keep the skins wet until they sink at around 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back