Exposure to headspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodesy

Junior
Reaction score
I racked from my primary to a secondary vessel the a few evening ago where I added the preservative pack from the Kit (Sodium Meta & Potassium Sorbate), degassed and then the following night added the first lot of finings. During this time the FV was fully sealed with an air tight lid with airlock on top. This did however have a fair bit of head space, around 1 US Gallon

My glass carboy arrvied yesterday which was duly cleaned, sanitized with some Starsan where I then racked the wine to it. I had to top up with some wine to get it to the neck with minimal head space.

What I am looking to ascertain is if I should be ok or if I am doomed to an oxygenated wine fate? I am very aware from beer brewing how detrimental oxygen can be and looking for some guidance (comfort) that this is not a disaster at my first attempt? If I need to add any more Sodium Meta as I have plenty of campden tablets lying around or will 2 days exposure to that head space be ok?

I was careful when racking not to splash, had lids covered up and the wine not exposed to the air directly for any length of time.

Appreciate any input.

I am scared to :D. In all seriousness, I will once I rack it in a couple of weeks to age. I was more concerned about this being a slot hitter, you know taking on some o2 and then deteriorating from there.

I am still unsure also of how to treat the wine periodically if bulk aging more than a few months as the kits don't really alude to this. They direct you to bottle within a month, so you drink sooner and buy more product no doubt.

Headspace during the timeframe of the kits instructions isn’t anything to worry about. That’s why they don’t instruct to top up until bulk aging if not bottling.
Your cool. Keep er topped up while racking every 3 months as well as adding proper sulphite at each 3 month racking.

Thanks , that is reassuring to read. With regards to sulphite additions, I do have campden tabs but could obtain Sodium Meta easily with my next brewstore order. If there a defined g/l rate to use?

First off, not crucial or anything, but shoot for the potassium metabisulfite instead of the sodium meta. Identical for sanitizing purposes, but in the wine they say potassium is better since sodium can effect the taste. At least that’s what they say. Haven’t actually heard any sodium metabisulfite horror stories tho.
Camden Tabs are 1 per gallon every 3 months. The powdered k-meta is 1/4 tsp per 6 gal every 3 months.
Repeat -1/4 tsp per SIX gal. Not per 1 gal. Very easy confuse the dose). That and keeping topped up would keep you as safe as can be during the aging.

First off, not crucial or anything, but shoot for the potassium metabisulfite instead of the sodium meta. Identical for sanitizing purposes, but in the wine they say potassium is better since sodium can effect the taste. At least that’s what they say. Haven’t actually heard any sodium metabisulfite horror stories tho.
Camden Tabs are 1 per gallon every 3 months. The powdered k-meta is 1/4 tsp per 6 gal every 3 months.
Repeat -1/4 tsp per SIX gal. Not per 1 gal. Very easy confuse the dose). That and keeping topped up would keep you as safe as can be during the aging.

Thanks, I will look to do that and get some in. Noted on the dosage, I can see how it can be easily mixed up :).

Are you sure that the dosage is 1 campden tablet per gal every 3 months? That's more campden than you put in to start a grape/fruit batch to kill everything prior to fermentation. I've only been adding 1 tablet per 6 gal every 3 months. So far I've had no issues . . . am I ridiculously lucky or is 1 per 6 gal the right dose?

I am scared to :D. In all seriousness, I will once I rack it in a couple of weeks to age. I was more concerned about this being a slot hitter, you know taking on some o2 and then deteriorating from there.

I am still unsure also of how to treat the wine periodically if bulk aging more than a few months as the kits don't really alude to this. They direct you to bottle within a month, so you drink sooner and buy more product no doubt.
Think macro not micro.....its just wine......now if you bulk age take a nip and add if you want too......theres no right or wrong...(Keep notes)

Latest posts

Back