experimention

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK I know I ad-lib an go/fall off the beaten path, but I do find great joy when I make an wines that I enjioy, now admint it or not at some time most every one of you longer term brothers an sisters in wine make has done some mix and match, a couple three years ago I settled down to around four wines I like and make every year, but every year I make six. To eight blends or at least wines I had yet to ferment, so I have a request for opinions I have great respect for,,, in the next two weeks I plan an elderberry blend, but till fall I am limited on my elderberries and come fall I will start one of two blends, lol not counting my pure elderberry wines, yummy, OK sorry my question is for this first elderberry blend would blackberry or black raspberry blend for the most ccomplamentry wine, to be honest I am leaning toward blackberry I feel they are similar yet each have their own to contributions for a blend, but since I've never tried a black raspberry so here I am asking you your thoughts,,,
:?
Dawg

I make what's in the backyard. I prefer the black raspberry wine over the BlackBerry. I drink the BlackBerry straight. The black raspberry taste amazing though when you blend with grape wines. I like to ferment separately then blend. My vote would be the raspberry. The raspberry comes of age quicker then the black.

Here's my take - for what it's worth... I agree with DiscoStu and would suggest that you make each wine separately and then blend them. That means you don't need to decide which fruit to blend with the elderberries until you taste what they taste like blended together in a ...bench test. If you cannot find a ratio of one wine to the second that you like then don't blend those two together. AND ... if you do find the sweet spot you can bench test that blend with a third wine and a fourth wine (or not). The world, Dawg, is your oyster. :db

Last time I ate oysters on the half, I was on a pier place. In Florida. Out. Of 15 people I was the. Only one that lived, that was when Florida made the law that oysers an shrimp had to be steamed no more. Raw, I could see the ship and watched them unload around 150 baskets off the deck not from the hold, no ice on th!em, 4weeks straight of exploiisve diearrea, I remember the man sitting the next table ended up dying, I threw the first oyster in my mouth bit down once and spit it out it had a metal whang to it, the/e dives up an down that peir were. Where they died f4om but that was kept hush hush, but I'll never forget seeing all them baskets sitting on deck on a sunny day, many years ago now, getting old,,,, lol
Dawg

Last edited:
Wow! Truly sounds alarming. The one and only time a friend of mine ate shell fish he came down with Hep B and a permanently damaged liver and he was 18 at the time, but you are speaking to a vegetarian. Oysters and shrimp are for me sea creatures, not food. The closest I get to eating animals is the cheese I make from milk and the mead I make from honey...

Last edited:
My mom is a vegetarian, when younger I ate no meal without meat, but some fried green matter an egg plant and I'm good, although I still eat meat mainly farm fresh I raise, I'm fixing to do six roosters and a goose, dang chicken & dumplings an goose & dressing, ,,, dang just ate an you got me hungry again,, lol,,, an yep I've not ate raw seafood in many years although I still eat a little raw beef now an then but not much any more,,,

Dawg

n[/B]
Wow! Truly sounds alarming. The one and only time a friend of mine ate shell fish he came down with Hep B and a permanently damaged liver and he was 18 at the time, but you are speaking to a vegetarian. Oysters and shrimp are for me sea creatures, not food. The closest I get to eating animals is the cheese I make from milk and the mead I make from honey...

I came home from the Army and went to New Orleans to hook up with a Amry buddy. Took me to one of those pier seafood joints and I got fried oysters...they were snow white.

Called the waitress over and asked her what was wrong with the oysters. She pops one in her mouth, says mummmm goood..."Where you from boy?" I said Texas. She said "Ah hell, Son, you just ain't never had you a fresh oyster before!"

I suspect she was correct.

What wines you ask? Ain't never had elderberry, blackberry, rashberry wines...have no idea what any of them taste like. Now, I have used smaller amounts in f-pacs with good results.

You'll never know till you make them. You can buy the finished product of a kit at the store. Wild berries will have more flavor them anything you can buy.

Yep wild hand picked only way to go, between my neighbor's and a few friends and what I grow, I'm hooked up fairly well thank the good Lord , just talked a few days ago to a old friend I ain't seen in years, should have muscadines this fall to boot, good lord willing,, and your so right,
Dawg

You'll never know till you make them. You can buy the finished product of a kit at the store. Wild berries will have more flavor them anything you can buy.

Have only ever made country wines from scratch,
But now an then when I want to make something I ain't got I do sometimes get concentrate from. www.home winery.com
Dawg

[quote=DiscoStu;640176]You'll never know till you make them. You can buy the finished product of a kit at the store. Wild berries will have more flavor them anything you can buy.[/quote]

Latest posts

Back