experimentation with micro quantities of honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Here's a thought for anyone interested in experimenting with honey. There is no law of nature that requires us to make large batches of mead (5 or 6 gallons) or even small batches (single gallons). You can make a micro batch (say, 1 quart) if all you can get of a varietal honey you want to explore is a jar of 12 ounces. One quart of must made from 12 ounces is equivalent to one gallon of 3 lbs (48 oz) and the starting gravity would be 1.105 (or a potential ABV of about 13%). I have three such batches I am experimenting with at this time: Apple blossom, Honeysuckle, and Neem (a honey varietal from India). But it strikes me that using such relatively small amounts of honey (and so relatively speaking, inexpensive amounts) that you could experiment with even less exotic varietals (say orange blossom or local wildflower ) by controlling the varietal and varying the yeast...

Its possible, but there are some very important aspects of mead making that scale better with larger batch sizes. Ie aging, and providing proper temperature control for your mead. And dont forget SNA.

Latest posts

Back