WineXpert Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I have this in secondary now and am ready to move on the the stabilizing and clarifying stage. Right now I only have a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 5 gallon carboy. The 5 has skeeter pee in it. After clearing I was planning on transferring to a primary bucket so I can clean the carboy then put it back in the carboy. There is going to be a lot of open space at the top of this. Is this going to be a big problem?

i'm sure more experienced can give more specifics, but i think the skeeter pee would be safer with the head space....keep ur wine topped up. i had quite a bit of headspace when i did my skeeter pee (was in a 6.5 g.carboy), but then racked on down to smaller 1 gallon jugs.

For the short amount of time you will be okay. Try not to splash it around too much and keep a lid on it while you are cleaning the carboy.

I know the feeling....been there before. It takes strategy and planning to maneuver and utilize every carboy you have. Time to go shopping.

You are going to need to top-up once you rack it back to the carboy, you lose quite a bit once you rack it off the sediment.

If you can you should pick up a 6 gallon carboy. Exoctic Fruit White Zin is an "Island Mist Kit" and topping it off will likely dilute both the ABV and flavor. This wine is only around 10% if you followed the kit instructions.

Sorry, I just realized how old this post is. I am probably to late with a respones.

Never too late for a response.
At the advice of a friend of mine I picked up another 5 gallon carboy and am going to put it in that and a 1 gallon to avoid having to top up at all. Maybe there will be a little extra for another taste. :D
My wife and I are looking forward to this one.

If you havent added all the stuff yet Im willing to bet the 6.5 carboy would be almost perfect as these kits with the big fpac usually will take up somewhere about that amount.

I was intially thiinking the same thing aas Wade but...

I just did this same kit and ended up with about 1.5 cups left over after adding the f-pack.

I think it varies with racking etc. and how the user follows the recipe.

Just an opinion

Yeah, thats true, Im very anal about getting every drop and lean my carboys to one side to get every drop of clear wine possible.

Here it is in my 6.5 gallon after racking and adding f-pack.

IMG00203-20100904-2144.jpg

If you can't get your hands on a 6 gallon carboy then go to the store and buy a white zinfidale to add to top off. you'll be fine then.

Couldn't come up with a 6 gallon so I topped of one of my 5's and a 1. Had enough left over for a full glass. So I chilled it a little and shared it with my wife. Not bad. My wife on the other hand..........
Holy cow! I thought my patience was bad. A couple times a day since she tasted it she asks if it is ready to bottle. lol
I see another one of these in my near future.

Unless you are going to drink it all fast dont bottle it as they can really drop a decent fine dusting in the bottles even after using a fining agent. This wine and a Blackberry Cabernet were my first wines to ever ferment many years ago when they first came out and after giving it about an extra 3 weeks in the carboy after fining I bottled and both batches lined my bottles with a film.

I intend to let it sit for a while.
I just think its funny how my wife calls me the impatient one and here she is asking when it will be ready. :re

Latest posts

Back