Exotic barrel vrs Vadai barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have one 6 gal Vadai barrel now & need a new 40 liter barrel for this fall. Love our Vadai but Mainshipfred turned me on to Exotic Barrel Co. Their 40 L barrel is only $129 & their store is only 10 mins from my Sons house, i.e. No shipping. So for me it's 1/2 price of a Vadai barrel. Anyone have first hand experience with Exotic? Thanks, Roy

We have one 6 gal Vadai barrel now & need a new 40 liter barrel for this fall. Love our Vadai but Mainshipfred turned me on to Exotic Barrel Co. Their 40 L barrel is only $129 & their store is only 10 mins from my Sons house, i.e. No shipping. So for me it's 1/2 price of a Vadai barrel. Anyone have first hand experience with Exotic? Thanks, Roy

No first hand experience, but I did look at their products. Their economy barrels have thinner stave thickness, 10-18 mm. The next line up is more in line with what I've seen for wine barrels, thicker than 20mm, FWIW.

Thanks John, figured they were a little thinner, i.e. Economy grade. But would still like to know if anyone has used them for wine. Their site is interesting, some nice furniture too. Will visit their location when we return in the fall. Roy

Do they actually say anywhere what type of oak you are getting? All I can see is "European Oak"........ WTF is that! Something out of the Chernobyl Forest?

I had a chance to taste wine out of @Mainshipfred 's barrel and it was nice oak. The site says "eastern European". I'm guessing just east of Hungary. I don't think I'd have an issue ordering from them, but I'm VERY happy with Vadai's barrels.

Personally, I won't even read a page like that. I've grown fond of paragraph breaks for an eye rest, location tracking, thought separation and just plain courtesy. Whether I'm reviewing resumes or looking at information like this, if I see a page of text with no paragraph breaks it goes straight into my bit bucket unread.

That actually makes me want to order one even less. That is a cut and paste job if I ever saw one.........

Right you are, Mike. Here is the source document: http://www.winewisdom.com/articles/non-french-oak-has-its-say/

Personally, I won't even read a page like that. I've grown fond of paragraph breaks for an eye rest, location tracking, thought separation and just plain courtesy. Whether I'm reviewing resumes or looking at information like this, if I see a page of text with no paragraph breaks it goes straight into my bit bucket unread.

Ted, at least the original webpage I linked above is nicely formatted! :D

From that article:

North east Italy neighbours Slavonia.

Hmmmm, news to me and to people in Italy and Slavonia:

500px-Slavonia.svg.png

I guess the author confused Slovenia and Slavonia? Or uses a generous interpretation of "neighbors"?

Last edited:
Exotic says their staves are .41 to .71 inches thick. I measured my Vadai barrel stave at the head & it was 1 full inch. So it's about a 1/4 of an thicker. Assume that would slow evaporation down thru the barrel. Roy

Exotic says their staves are .41 to .71 inches thick. I measured my Vadai barrel stave at the head & it was 1 full inch. So it's about a 1/4 of an thicker. Assume that would slow evaporation down thru the barrel. Roy

Seems to reason, more rapid evaporation, and more rapid micro oxidation. Stay on top of the sulfite and topping up if you decide to give them a whirl.....

@mainshipfred, is the barrel shown in a picture you posted months back while racking in your shop from Exotic? If so, what do you think of it ?
Personally I would be fine with that type of oak (aside from the Chernobyl Forest that is) and 3/4" staves. If the price is right then why not? I'm just a simple basement dweller having fun. I see no harm in owning barrel that isn't up to commercial winemaking standards.

@mainshipfred, is the barrel shown in a picture you posted months back while racking in your shop from Exotic? If so, what do you think of it ?
Personally I would be fine with that type of oak (aside from the Chernobyl Forest that is) and 3/4" staves. If the price is right then why not? I'm just a simple basement dweller having fun. I see no harm in owning barrel that isn't up to commercial winemaking standards.

Got it form Harford. Don't know what they sell. It didn't leak and gave nice oak, but the best thing of all, it's a great night light

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back