Excited! My AMERICAN grapes are reserved!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Very excited! My white muscadine/scuppernong AMERICAN grapes have been reserved by my old friend Cecil. Some of you may have seen elsewhere here that it has been six years since I last made wine. Cecil was getting on up there in age then, so I was unsure if he was even still around. But I called and he is, thank God, and he has my grapes reserved when they get ripe. I won a silver medal in Los Angeles with his muscadines years ago.

This guy has a large vineyard and a decent sized winemaking room in his farm shop that is a consistent 65 degrees summer and winter, as well as large sliding glass door display coolers he uses to bring the grapes to his chosen level before crushing. Seems to always have 50 gallons or so in process. He has a 4x8-foot whiteboard covered with blue ribbons he's won at county fairs for his wines.

This time I'll just have to remember a camera or my phone! So looking forward to seeing him again and to maybe tasting a few of his creations. AMERICAN grapes, the ones that through grafting saved the European vineyards from extinction in the phylloxera outbreak. Muscadines and scuppernongs are the grapes with the highest level of resveratrol of any (maybe that's Cecil's secrte). Looking forward to seeing him again and making 10-12 gallons of AMERICAN wine.

racking11-2013002_zps6b1db5b9.jpg

Latest posts

Back