EVs are invading my town!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with all of those points (and, for the record, am very interested in making an EV my next vehicle). But those FAQs only address greenhouse gasses. What I'm still trying to figure out is what are the environmental impacts associated with producing and (probably more importantly) disposing of the batteries? Like everything else coming out of our politicians mouths, the 'facts' are only those that support the narrative they're selling. I just want the WHOLE truth.
Precisely, there lies of commision and omission.

Ah, the EPA. created by the trustworthy President Nixon!
I trust no one, but especially NOT government bureaucracies. Their jobs are never finished nor diminish and they always become politicized.

I'm not quite that cynical - yet. I believe that the scientist at the EPA are, for the most part, just doing what scientist do and that their information is accurate as they see it. Gotta follow the science, right? Unless we have the money and knowledge to do our own research, we have to believe somebody.

However, that doesn't mean I put a lot of faith in the political spin from the administrators.

Do you trust Reuters?

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

Agree with all of those points (and, for the record, am very interested in making an EV my next vehicle). But those FAQs only address greenhouse gasses. What I'm still trying to figure out is what are the environmental impacts associated with producing and (probably more importantly) disposing of the batteries? Like everything else coming out of our politicians mouths, the 'facts' are only those that support the narrative they're selling. I just want the WHOLE truth.

Batteries are covered lightly on that link. Manufacturing and recycling. I believe all these things will get better. Especially now that they are getting more popular.

I'm not quite that cynical - yet. I believe that the scientist at the EPA are, for the most part, just doing what scientist do and that their information is accurate as they see it. Gotta follow the science, right? Unless we have the money and knowledge to do our own research, we have to believe somebody.

However, that doesn't mean I put a lot of faith in the political spin from the administrators.

Do you trust Reuters?

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...lectric-vehicles-vs-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

Am I reading that correctly that the assumed lifetime of the Tesla (and comparison vehicles) is 173k miles (Model 3) or 183k miles (Model Y)? I think Tesla would tell you that they have much longer lives. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle though.

Am I reading that correctly that the assumed lifetime of the Tesla (and comparison vehicles) is 173k miles (Model 3) or 183k miles (Model Y)? I think Tesla would tell you that they have much longer lives. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle though.

That is weird. I hadn't noticed that. I'm thinking that might be the age of the car they tested. They sure aren't very clear. Just the batteries are supposed to last 300k-500k.

https://enginepatrol.com/how-long-tesla-model-3-last/

There is a huge amount of outright hysteria and misinformation surrounding "nuclear" power. The fact is nuclear power is both the safest and most efficient method to generate power, period! Not by a small measure by any means but by relatively huge margins.

Practically all the world's reactors are rather old designs and there are newer and much much improved designs that could be utilized if and only if we made rational informed decisions instead of... well knee jerk reactions based on feelings instead of deliberate thought.
Indeed some designs should have NEVER been built, i.e. Chernobyl. Others like Fukushima, while an older design, were acceptable they require backup power in the event of an emergency shutdown to continue cooling the reactor. The reactors survived the 6 minute 9.1 earthquake (a massive extremely long duration earthquake btw) and the resultant tsunami but unfortunately the backup generators were not high enough to continue to run when the 15 meter tsunami hit and the loss of their backup power led to the reactor meltdown.

https://www.engineering.com/story/whats-the-death-toll-of-nuclear-vs-other-energy-sources
Gotta follow the science, right?
i do not question the reactors, i question, the greedy that cut this corner, or that corner, or the bord of directors that say uuuh look how much extra money we can make by building this on the ocean shores, and river shores, not to mention that the normal (SAFE BACKGROUND LEVELS/) that are several times higher now, as opposed to then, not to mention you need a giger counter to check any thing stainless from over seas, i keep 2 counters, and youd not believe the radeation .. your living in,,,, my counters are the usa atomic grade counters used by the government,
Dawg,

One consideration with EVs are the production of efficient batteries, which currently rely on rare-earth metals like lithium and beryllium. Most of these are mined in poor countries with exploited local and child labor. Despite the noises companies make inside the US (eco-friendly, fair labor practices, etc.) most of the time the reality is far more bleak. Local corruption in 3rd world countries allows governments to stamp their approval and certification for environmental and labor practices that we would approve of, but are really not anything like that. I lived and worked in Africa for over 9 years.

One consideration with EVs are the production of efficient batteries, which currently rely on rare-earth metals like lithium and beryllium. Most of these are mined in poor countries with exploited local and child labor.

Yes, the is an extremely important issue that needs to be addressed.

Latest posts

Back