Everything smells like sulfites

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Ever since I was able to sample (not drink) my first batch of wine all I smell when I sniff a glass of store bought wine is sulfites. I primarily drink wine from local Virginia Wineries and have always enjoyed them in the past. I still do enjoy them but this new smell sensation is getting in the way a little. Has home wine making hindered my appreciation or is it just advancing my senses? Has anyone else experienced this?

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Ever since I was able to sample (not drink) my first batch of wine all I smell when I sniff a glass of store bought wine is sulfites. I primarily drink wine from local Virginia Wineries and have always enjoyed them in the past. I still do enjoy them but this new smell sensation is getting in the way a little. Has home wine making hindered my appreciation or is it just advancing my senses? Has anyone else experienced this?
I suspect it is advancing your senses. From what I've read, a lot of commercial wines are heavy on sulfite due to the 'torture' they go through in shipping, storage and store shelves. Reminds me, I should test some next time I open a bottle.

Where in VA are you?

Latest posts