Everclear vs vodka

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched for the answer to this and since I found nothing, will ask. I have a wine that is low ABV. Which would be the better solution, Everclear at 190 proof or Vodka at 100 proof? Wine is at about 8% abv now. Would like at least 10-11.

Either will work, it just depends what type of wine it is, how much extra liquid you want to dilute it with, etc.

I searched for the answer to this and since I found nothing, will ask. I have a wine that is low ABV. Which would be the better solution, Everclear at 190 proof or Vodka at 100 proof? Wine is at about 8% abv now. Would like at least 10-11.

How does it taste? Do you know the pH? How long do you want to keep it? If it tastes great, and pH is below 3.7, and you will probably drink it in the next year or two then don't worry....add Kmeta, bottle it and drink up this summer!

At 190 proof Everclear isn't going to change the taste - period. However that said, becareful with any left over everclear.

Mis-use of Everclear could lead to ....[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkW35T1jQB0[/ame]

I use everclear, typically I would add distillers charcoal with the everclear for a week prior to using it. That would usually take out most of the odors that come from it (fussils oils ) Back in the day (from what I read) Port was fortified with non cut brandy, which means distilled wine and not diluted with water,so the abv was similar to everclear

I also will add oak sticks in the everclear for approx 2 weeks - if not longer prior to adding to my port - it adds a little extra flavoring - similar to brandy

At 190 proof Everclear isn't going to change the taste - period. However that said, becareful with any left over everclear.

Mis-use of Everclear could lead to ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkW35T1jQB0

I am quite aware of the effects of Everclear. Many years ago, I visited my folks. I found my dad and my uncle reliving old times with Everclear and near beer. A 30's thing! I said sure I'll have some. So I dumped some beer out and added the Everclear. The idea was to then tilt the bottle to mix the concoction. I had not removed enough beer and so it didn't get mixed properly. OOHH BBOOYY!!! Darn near straight Everclear. Moral: don't be afraid to waste a bit of beer for a 30's drink!:HB

I once told someone - Don't drink that stuff straight (Everclear) . She refused to be told what to do. I almost died laughing - after she took a solid swallow she was gasping for air. [We used a couple of drops in our kids ears to dry them out after swimming (Not kidding that was the doc's advise) ]

Latest posts

Back