Even though i used wine conditioner can I......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopsyKrett

Reaction score
Here is the deal i have a blackberry port that i made form a recipe in a book and the recipe says to add wine conditioner to the wine after bulk aging. So now it has been 3 months in the bulk aging process and after i racked it and added the wine conditioner (6 ounces to my three gallon batch) i tasted it and still didn't taste sweet enough to me, and from what i understand there is already sorbate in the wine conditioner, so my question is would it be ok if i add actual sorbate and back sweeten with an F-PAC? or would there already be enough potassium sorbate from the wine conditioner?

I would definetly add more sorbate as I dont think there is enough sorbate in there for a batch of wine, I think there is just enough or maybe a little more then needed to make sure that the conditioner does not ferment. I would do as you said and add sorbate and then sweeten. Have you apready added sulfites to this wine as sorbate should be added only when sulfites are in good #'s.

no i did not it has just been sitting for three months what should i add before adding the sorbate?

What size batch is this, 1/4 tsp per 6 gallon batch is recommended after every 3-4 months or 1 tablet per gallon.

Its a 3gal batch. Would it be ok to add the sulfites, sorbate AND backsweeten? Would it still be possible to bottle around the 22nd if I did?

If its clear and there are lees on the bottom of the carboy then rack off these lees first then do as you stated above adding 1/8th tsp to this batch and then the sorbate and then sweeten.

I cant see a problem with it, I usually just give it a week or so after sweetening as long as it doesnt cloud up again as it sometimes does for some reason.

i'll go ahead and do that and wait a week or 2 to see what happens. If its good and not cloudy then I'll bottle then. Thanks again for your help! Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back