%etoh ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wray

Reaction score
is there any way to find the % etoh in an already fermented wine without sending it to a lab?

% etoh

starting sg1.2,final0.992. but the og must be wrong.i used champagne yeast and i dont think it would tolerate that high % etoh. I do NOT want rocket fuel.thanks

Im guessing you meant 1.120 as the starting sg as I dont think there even s a hydro that goes up to 1.2 like you wrote and if it did I highly dounght a yeast strain would even start if it truly was that sg . If it was still fermenting there is a way to figure out the starting sg using the link below but since its already been fermented dry You would need equipment that would cost more then you most likely would be willing to spend to do so.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=HI83540-01

% etoh

oops,sg had to have been 1.12,but i still dont need a 17 abv wine.what can i do to drop it to 11-12%? it is a peach and grape concentrate recipe.I have 5 gal.

You could always add some juice or water to it if is just way too much for ya. Dont forget to add sorbate first tho.

There are some tools that can give you readings - like the vinometer - but i wouldn't trust it - as IMO a pretty poor tool.

SG readings are the most reliable.

Yes, there are tools but Im afraid the sticker shock would knock your panties off!:mny

Ok this is the trick to determine alcohol percentage in a finished wine.

Firts take a sample of the wine say 2 cups and measure the SG.

Now boil this sample doen until you have about half the volume. That way you are sure that all alcohol has evaporated.

Now add distilled water (when lacking plain tap water) until you have exactly the same volume again.

Now measure SG again with your hydrometer.

For this purpose a narrow scale hydrometer is best, but not everyone has one of these. So measure carefully.

Now you have two SG readings.

Put thoose in here:
http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_applet.html

Use the upper alcohol tab and then choose the boiling off method.

It will give you a fair indication of the alcohol level.

I am now doing a series on pulp fermenting on my web-log. When that has finished a series about alcohol calculations will follow.

Luc

Hey Luc, did you ever follow up on that? I am always amazed with some of the stuff you come up with and although Ill usually never use some of it I love reading it and love having info like it on our forum here for people who dont wish to know such info .

Latest posts

Back