Equipment

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Gerry Congleton, Jul 23, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jul 23, 2019 #1

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

Hopefully this is a simple question. I’m beginning by trying to make a one gallon kit of wine. I’m not sure what size containers I need for this smaller amount. Thank you!!

2. Jul 23, 2019 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

You will need a primary bucket, size isn't really important, but 2 or 4 gallons is probably correctly sized. And a 1 gallon demijohn/carboy for aging

3. Jul 23, 2019 #3

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

Thanks cmason1957. I was hoping to hear the info you gave me.

4. Jul 23, 2019 #4

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

If you want to do this on the cheap - visit your local recycling center. Look for Carlo Rossi 4 liter wine "Jugs" they are perfect, free and ... 7 oz more than 1 gallon - that doesn't really require much if any adjustment in your process. What it does do is nice on bottling day. After you fill 5 bottles of wine (also from the recycling center), you'll have about 7 oz of wine left to treat yourself on bottling day.

cmason1957 likes this.
  5. Jul 23, 2019 #5

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

Scooter68, Sounds like a great idea, both for 1 gallon brewing and gathering needed wine bottles. With a recycle center nearby, I can easily find out what is available. Thanks!

6. Jul 23, 2019 #6

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Yeah, it's the best way to go and generally what I do is once I start a batch of wine, that's when I start gathering bottles. Once you get the hang of it you learn which brands labels come off easy and which you want to leave in that bin. I have about a dozen 4 liter carboys and of course it's also a good idea to look for smaller glass bottles with the same size cap. 1.5 liter, 1/2 gallon, 20 oz, 16 oz, they all come in handy at one time or another.

7. Jul 23, 2019 #7

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

Thanks again. Great information!!

8. Jul 23, 2019 #8

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

You should get a bung for your 1 gallon jug and an airlock. There will still be a ton of co2 in your wine when you transfer your wine from the primary to secondary. If you put a solid cap on it... bad things will happen. Bad, geyser-like things.

bstnh1 likes this.
  9. Jul 23, 2019 #9

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I personally stay away from picking up bottles at the recycling center. Never know what's been in them. I get most of mine from a local winery that hosts big events like weddings and usually has a boatload of empty bottles. I also ask those I give wine to to return them to me. Most do and often give me empties from those they buy.

10. Jul 23, 2019 #10

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

jgmann67, Thanks for the info.

11. Jul 23, 2019 #11

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

bstnh1, I think I will ty the recycling center and just be very selective. It seems with thorough cleaning and sanitizing it should be safe. Thanks for your input.

Scooter68 likes this.
  12. Jul 23, 2019 #12

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

you will need a hydrometer and a siphon sized for a gallon . airlock with bung size #6 or 6.5 for post fermentation.

13. Jul 23, 2019 #13

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Pretty easy to tell if a bottle has had something nasty in it. A LARGE number of folks on here use recycled bottles. By the time you soak labels off, wash, rinse, sanitize, store until needed, the re-sanitize before use, the bottles will be fine. Once or twice I saw bottles at the center that had been used for shipping/storing some chemical with a long long name on it - Yeah those I passed by.

But this is glass we are talking about - very little chance of anything remaining on the glass that can't be detected by the nose and cleaned with good housekeeping practices. I actually have more concern about the label remover solutions that are petroleum based. I had a citrus based cleaner but even that requires a good dishwashing detergent cleaning then rinsing.

As you've said - 'being selective.' Works fine.

I've also found numerous other glass containers for other uses like holding my pH meter in-between tests. Latest find was a 6 oz bottle (HEAVY GLASS) labeled Apple Pie 100 Proof. Works great for storing the Star-san as I'm doing clean-up of hydrometer, wine thief etc then discard the used star-san.

14. Jul 23, 2019 #14

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

To All, I have received a lot of good information. I have brewed beer before, but was concerned about the size of containers for brewing just a 1 gallon batch of wine.
    Thanks to all of you!!!

15. Jul 23, 2019 #15

mtnlivn

mtnlivn

mtnlivn

I personally buy the Rossi jugs with wine included for around $13, make sangria, and use the jug for small batches. Easy that way i don’t have to worry about something other than wine being in the jug.

16. Jul 23, 2019 #16

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

I am impressed !

And you must be the ultimate 'lurker' - member since 2012 and this is your First message :)

17. Jul 23, 2019 #17

mtnlivn

mtnlivn

mtnlivn

Try to never let any wine go to waste. If I could keep it from going to waist too I could die happy. Could change my screen name to “mtnlurkin”. Or not

sour_grapes likes this.
  18. Jul 23, 2019 #18

CabSauv

CabSauv

CabSauv

Exp Drinker/Junior Vintner

Some of the best advice I ever got on this forum was this: Skip the 1 gallon stuff and just get yourself a standard 6 gallon wine making kit, you'll end up making more wine anyway. You can get equipment kits anywhere from $70-$150 depending on the quality or at a minimum get yourself a 6 gallon bucket, hydrometer/measuring tube, siphon, and a 6 gallon carboy. The cost for the rest of the equipment and chemicals/sanitizers is pretty minimal.

Boatboy24 likes this.
  19. Jul 23, 2019 #19

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Gerry Congleton

Junior

I was going to make that point. I wanted to start with a one gallon batch and then to up the ante to a 6 gallon batch. I don’t know if can drink enough to have enough bottles available by the time I brew 6 gallons.
    I’m looking forward to getting involved in this project.
    Again,

Thanks to ALL of you for your help.

20. Jul 23, 2019 #20

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

I hear ya. A gallon of Carlo Rossi costs about ten bucks, IIRC. Grab some of that and make some sangria. Then keep the bottle.