Equipment storage

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by TikiWine, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:17 PM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2019 at 5:17 PM #1

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

What is the best way to store the equipment when not in use? Ie the buckets and carboys?

2. Feb 12, 2019 at 6:31 PM #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

Ask 20 winemakers that question, get 21 opinions. I run water through hoses, clean any obvious dirt, then hang. Carboys, I wash throughly, use a drill carboy brush. Add a small amount of kmeta solution, then put a solid bung in. Generally mine aren't stored for long.

3. Feb 12, 2019 at 7:04 PM #3

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

What is kmeta?

4. Feb 12, 2019 at 7:13 PM #4

4score

4score

4score

Potassium Metabisulfite or SO2

5. Feb 12, 2019 at 7:15 PM #5

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

Yup... Ok thanks

6. Feb 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM #6

jayhkr

jayhkr

jayhkr

Hoses, spoons, siphons, strainer bags, etc... get stored in a 5 gallon bucket after they are cleaned and sanitized. I also spray a few squirts of K-meta in the bucket and seal the lid up. For my additives, thermometer, hydrometer, measuring spoons, I have a small 6"x12" Tupperware holder that sits on my workbench. Carboys are rinsed, k-meta, and sealed till next use.

Dom Lausic likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2019 at 8:02 PM #7

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Regardless of how you store them, a careful check and re-wash or sanitizing rinse is a good move. I've sanitized carboys, stored them for 4-6 months with a paper towel tied over the end and still occasionally found a spot of mold or debris inside. I'd thought the stars and liquid would evaporate an leave the carboys in a clean state - but sanitizers can lose their effectiveness before they dry provide moisture for mold.

So clean and store but be prepared to repeat the whole process of left more than a week.

I've even gone to refresh an airlock that was a just little low only to find fruit flies hiding under the translucent cap. In those cases the flies were dead but...

cmason1957 likes this.
  8. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:22 PM #8

danno

danno

danno

Junior

Very True. I just rinse out the residue from my carboys before storing and do the sanitizing only when I'm ready to put them back into use.

9. Feb 13, 2019 at 4:01 PM #9

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

My suggestion is to CLEAN, and sanitize before I storing. Don't skip the cleaning and don't overdo sanitizing.

10. Feb 14, 2019 at 2:27 PM #10

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

I rinse thoroughly with water and then dump out any residual water out of the carboy each time I walk buy it. It takes a few hours/times before nothing comes out. I hang my hoses so that the low point is the end points. You don’t want to leave a coiled up hose with water in it.

11. Feb 14, 2019 at 3:19 PM #11

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Good process for cleaning, , , , I drain everything inverted, when dry carboys have a paper towel rubber banded over the mouth so I don’t have to rewash when used again and risk of mold is reduced.

12. Feb 14, 2019 at 9:06 PM #12

FermentoSapiens

FermentoSapiens

FermentoSapiens

Junior

I always wash everything very good at once after use and dry it out with paper towel thoroughly. Hoses is hanged up after cleaning. Before use again next time, I just rinse everything with warm water and apply Star San, let it sit for a while and rinse with cold clean water.

13. Feb 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM #13

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I wash everything right after use with One Step or Easy Clean and rinse thoroughly with tap water. Dry or let it dry and put it away without sanitizing. I sanitize before next use. Carboys are stored with saran wrap over opening; hoses are hung to dry; smaller equipment is stored in large covered plastic storage box. Bottle rack and floor corker are stored with plastic bags over them.

14. Feb 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM #14

Walt

Walt

Walt

Junior

As a last step, consider inverting carboys for several hours before sealing with saran wrap. The goal is for the inside to become completely dry.

15. Feb 16, 2019 at 4:59 PM #15

bstnh1

bstnh1

bstnh1

I let them thoroughly dry for 2 or 3 days before sealing them up. I find that drying them on their side actually gets them dry faster than if left inverted. Before I set them down to dry, I put a small microfiber towel inside and bounce it around to pick up most of the water droplets, etc. It really speeds things up.