Equipment sterilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlegCS

Junior
Reaction score
I understand that equipment needs to be clean but what is a big deal if you have some dry wine in your carboy and you pour another batch in there? Just curious.

1) You don't have to sterilize your containers or equipment - you Sanitize them and you need to look into the difference.
2) What you are suggesting might not cause any problems.....but why do you want to risk your time and money on possibly infecting that new wine batch with a bacteria or mold that may have crept into that old wine? If you are talking about homegrown grapes or fruit still there is the time and effort wasted should something cause that new wine to go off the rails.

Edited for one additional thought - Do you wash pots and pans after using them to cook? Why, wouldn't the heat sterilze the pan or pot? Same principal, unless you don't wash your pots and pans.

Last edited:
I'm confused on this. Are you saying you had a carboy that had not been cleaned? If so how long has it been dirty?

A big deal could be you'd taint the new batch and get sick from drinking. Probably a very small chance of that happening but not, I believe, out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
It was the one big piece of advice that my father (who home brews beer) gave me when I told him I was starting to make wine - you can't be too obsessive about cleaning and sanitising. (his bitter experience from having too many batches go bad!)

It was the one big piece of advice that my father (who home brews beer) gave me when I told him I was starting to make wine - you can't be too obsessive about cleaning and sanitising. (his bitter experience from having too many batches go bad!)

Thank you Toonster and everyone who spent time responding to my post.

Latest posts

Back