Equipment Sanitizing Question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
Do you add any type acid to your sodium or potassium bisulfite solutions when using them for sanitizing? A container I recently purchased called for the addition of 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid with each teaspoon of sulfite per gallon of water. It also said to allow 20 minutes contact time. I was under the impression that just a quick rinse with the solution was adequate.

In the past I have always used a hypochlorite solution for sanitizing. It works very well but requires such extensive rinsing to be sure you leave absolutely no residue. To save some effort I had planned to change to one of the sulfite solutions.

The addition of citric acid helps the meta-k work better "from what I have read". As for contact time and rinsing..That seems to be up to debate. I was told by my local supplier to allow a few minutes of contact time and to rinse. Others do not. I choose to allow a few minutes contact, just to be sure. I am in no big hurry anyways. As for rinsing..I used to but will probably not now. The little amount of diluted meta-k left on the surface of containers or tools will not hurt the must or wine. At least thats what I have been told here by much more experienced wine makers. Others may tell you different.

I use Sparkle-Brite, It is a no-rinse formuls and containes no hypochlorites or chlorine. The package does say "allow 2 minutes contact time"..

I just mix 3 Tbsp of Potassium metabisulfite to 1 gallon of water
You can sanitize almost anything with that
hope it help

I am with Pappa B. I use Kmeta solution 3 to one gallon to rinse and also in a spray bottle to quick sanitize before use. I do not leave it in for any length of time just put in a couple of cups swirrel it around and dup it out. No rinsing needed.

I just mix 3 Tbsp of Potassium metabisulfite to 1 gallon of water
You can sanitize almost anything with that
hope it help

I did that too before getting sparkle-brite. I only switched because the meta-k cost more and had a shorter shelf life. I get a lot more sanitizer for my buck, and you only need 1 Tbsp per gallon.

Kmeta does its sanitizing more from its fumes than from actual liquid contact.
It works best when you pour it in a vessel, like a carboy, SEAL IT for 20 minutes or so, open it, and pour it out.

It you want to sanitize by contact, use something like StarSan, which works great.

I have a gallon bottle and spray bottle of each. Depending on the application, I make my choice. The StarSan works great to sanitize my hands before I handle my wine making equipment.

Yeah, starsan is no rinse and 30 seconds contact time, and it has no fumes that burn my nose, and it works for wine and beer, and it keeps forever if you mix it with distilled water. So that's what I use.

I have been using One Step powder. From what I read I think I will switch to Starsan too. The One Step does not dissolve very easily.

Latest posts

Back