EP Amarone Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbo_c

Reaction score
Anybody know some specific differences between the RJS Amarone and Amarone Classico kits? Seems like if they’re going to have two with essentially the same name, they’d be a little more open about what differences to expect, but both descriptions just sound kind of typical Amarone to me.

I’m going to get one this week, but not sure which.

Thanks.

Jbo

I haven't ever made the Classico kit, but I almost always have 12 gallons of the other aging in my basement. It comes with both grape pak and raisins. I believe that may be the big difference. If you do buy either one, be ready to wait a minimum of two years before drinking and there might be even better, but you are well rewarded for that patience.

The Classico comes with 18L of juice, dried skins and raisins, vs. 16L of juice, wet skins, and raisins.

The Classico comes with 18L of juice, dried skins and raisins, vs. 16L of juice, wet skins, and raisins.
Brian, are you sure the Classico comes with raisons? I was told the Classico was 18L with just the dried skins.

The current kit may have changed. The last time I made it was July of 2015, my notes from back then read "dried skins, raisins, and oak chips".

So, do tell, Brian. At 3.5 years , what do you think of it?
I don't have any tasting notes on this one other than "big, needs time" at bottling. Lack of tasting notes means it's decent, as expected, I typically only note a rant or rave. Haven't cracked one open in a while, I'll try to find one (only 4 bottles left) and post back in a day or three.

So, do tell, Brian. At 3.5 years , what do you think of it?
I misquoted the age, it's actually a couple months older (May 2015)
Cracked one open to accompany dinner this evening. I'd put both this one and the CC Showcase up against any of the more affordable commercial Amarones (which is quite an accomplishment for a $5 bottle of wine) I'll definitely make this one again.
Only 3 bottles left. :(

Brian, are you sure the Classico comes with raisons? I was told the Classico was 18L with just the dried skins.

I made the Classico about 16 months ago and it had both raisins and dried skins. Will bottle soon but the samples I draw at racking have been very good.

I made the Classico about 16 months ago and it had both raisins and dried skins. Will bottle soon but the samples I draw at racking have been very good.
I have made the other one but not the Classico, may have to try it next

Excellent. Thanks, cmason. Should’ve done that myself before.

I’ve got 48 hours to decide which/if I’m going to get one of these. I’ll probably either get one of these or a Cru Select and a Grand Cru. 1 batch or two? . . .

Last edited:
I just sent off an email to the RJS helpline asking them what are the differences between those two kits. I'll post what I find out.

This is the response I received from them, quite promptly I must admit.

Good Morning Craig,

Thank you for your inquiry. The difference between our two kits is that one is more of a traditional Amarone Style – tannins are more pronounced and the other one, with the crushed grape skins, is more of modern style of Amarone – fruit forward and med tannins.

Italy Amarone Style: Crushed Grape Skins + Hungarian oak 50mg = Modern Style
Italy Amarone Classico Style: Dried Skins + French oak 40mg = Traditional Style

Please, don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Product Support RJS Craft Winemaking
[email protected]
| 1.800.663.0954 | (m) 905.301.8024
Arterra Wines Canada | 441 Courtneypark Dr E | Mississauga, ON L5T 2V3

So there you have it, if you want a traditional Amarone then the Classico is the way to go, more modern Amarone then go with the Style one. I may have to rethink which one I make, I have always done the Style one. And they don't specifically say either one contains raisins, from reports it seems both do. I must have been wrong on what I said in an earlier post.

By way of updating, I got the Classico.

. . . And a Cru Select International Nebbiolo

. . . And a Cru Select Zinfandel

cuz that’s just how much self control I have.

:)

Jbo

Oh, if I had an affordable way to do it, they’d be enroute.

Jbo

Latest posts

Back