RJ Spagnols EP Amarone and other questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the EP Amarone has been clearing for a little over two weeks. The instructions say that I can rack at this time if I want to extend the aging process - which I do. So, I racked to a clean and sanitized carboy last night. I was a bit surprised by the sediment that was at the bottom. It was different from what I've noticed in my previous kits. This was what I would call "clumpy" and "stringy." In previous kits I've noticed the sediment to be "grainy." I'm making the assumption that this was due simply to the particular clearing agents used in this kit. Although, I have made two other RJS kits that used the same clearing agents (Kieselsol and Chitosan). Anyway, I had a tiny taste in the process and am excited by what I found now. Obviously, it's really young, but even now I get really up front fruitiness and strong tannin.
At this point I plan to let it bulk age for a year. I believe I need to add K-Meta every three months to protect against oxidation. I know that some on this forum recommend reducing the recommended amount of K-Meta from 1/4 tsp to 1/8 tsp. Any thoughts on that? Also, do I need to rack again in conjunction with the addition of the K-Meta?
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!! I hope everyone gets to enjoy their favorite wine with your Thanksgiving meal.

I have done several free SO2 test of kits that were properly topped off and stoppered or under airlock that were well within the recommended levels of sulfite at 6 months bulk aging with no additional sulfite added.
If you have no means of testing then I as well as other mods here recommend 1/8tsp every 4mo's for a red wine.

I fully agree that 1/8 tsp every 4 months now is the way to go since I now have a Hanna S02 analyzer. Im not a super taster and have never really tasted the higher S02 levels in my older wines but I can tell you that 1/4 tsp every 3 months can add up to what someone who has better taste buds then me a ruined wine for quite some time. It really depends on how long you plan on bulk aging though as even 1/8tsp every 4 months over 1 1/2 years would most likely be way too much. this is why anyone who plans on long term bulk aging should invest in a decent way of testing sulfites!

1/8 tsp every 4 months. How much at bottling? 1/8 or 1/4?
Y'all are about to talk me into one of those s02 testers, any of them idiot proof? I only have a marketing degree!!!

Try and time it so it needs an addition at bottling. The Vinmetrica is fool proof and everyone that has one loves it but it is not the cheapest. The cheapest to set up is the A/O rig but its a bit more "wet chemistry" for sure but I could walk you through it if you want to go that route someday. There are videos on you tube as well on how to run it.

If you look under our "How To Tutorials" I believe I have videos on each method.

Hey Sipper, how's the Barbera coming?
Mike and Wade, thanks, you guys, for all the help with this batch of Amarone so far. I'm really pleased with how it's going. I'm still wondering, though, if I need to rack my wine each time I add the K-Meta.

No, not unless it has dropped a bunch more fines, just add the dose to the wine and stir it in well or dissolve it in some of the wine and pour it back in and stir again.

Agree, extract a little of the wine and dissolve the kmeta in it and add it back or use a wine that you are topping it off with.

Latest posts

Back