Cellar Craft Enzyme pack in Old Vine Zinfandel kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
My CC old vine zinfandel kit had a packet labeled "Enzyme Packet". What exactly is this? Pectic Enzyme? It says to add it in step 2, after primary fermentation.

They have been including that packet for several years now. CC red kits can end up with a milky layer that coats the walls of the carboy. It shows up soon after primary. Once it is present, you can't rack it away. Sorry, I don't exactly what that layer is, but the enzyme packet will completely eliminate it.

Some wine makers don't use the packet and have no problems because they didn't end up with the milky layer. I did have the milky problem but didn't use the packet. It ended up taking 6 months to finally get rid of the problem. It took two more of the packets and a bentonite fining to take care of it.

So, add the packet as directed.

Last edited:
Its a protein layer that forms sometimes. The enzyme breaks down the protein but you need to make sure that you don't add it until after you have racked off the gross lees as bentonite will deactivate the enzyme.

Its a protein layer that forms sometimes. The enzyme breaks down the protein but you need to make sure that you don't add it until after you have racked off the gross lees as bentonite will deactivate the enzyme.

Mine was a real mess and I like to never have gotten rid of it. I would rack off it, then it would form again in the new carboy.

I am drinking that wine now, so at least it didn't affect the end result.

Thanks for the replies. My next question was going to be "What happens if you make a mistake and put it in the primary?"

Because that's what I did. For some reason I scanned through the kit steps and did not see it mentioned, so I assumed primary. Do I need to get some more of this enzyme? If so, what exactly do I need to buy?

I would wait to see if the white protein ring forms after 21 days. If it does, call CC and they will send out a replacement enzyme pack free of charge.

Cellar Craft Enzyme pack in Old Vine Zinfandel kit

I would wait to see if the white protein ring forms after 21 days. If it does, call CC and they will send out a replacement enzyme pack free of charge.

WOW! That's good to know. I love this group!

Funny this came up because I noticed that same phenomenon in one of my CC kits the other day, except I don't have an enzyme pack! I did everything via the kit instructions, but thought that something had infected my wine as well (even though I had just added the sulfite a few weeks before). I guess I'll have to give them a call. It is the first time I had seen this happen and hadn't heart of an enzyme pack for this before.

Back