Enzyme Delay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I’ve heard that you want to let the enzymes work for 6-8h before pitching. Does that apply to everything (e.g. opti-red and tannins)?

For example is is ok if I add the lallyzme right after crush and then 8h later add the opti-red, tannin and yeast?

Plan on skipping Kmeta unless the grapes look rough.

Last edited:
The only thing that's a problem would be extra tannins. They can precipitate and inactivate the enzymes. My routine has been to add sulfites after crush, then the Lallyzyme EX an hour later, and then wait overnight to pitch the yeast and the fermentation tannin. Results so far have been good. I think Opti-red is a yeast derived product and I use it too. Not sure if there's any interaction with the enzymes. I don't remember when I added, but it was certainly before pitching the yeast.

Just based on 1 year to the next, the enzymes have made more of a difference than any other single thing I've done. I think you'll be happy with what they do for you.

Likewise, enzymes have been a game changer. I also don’t use sulfite at crush unless the fruit is poor. My sequence has Lallzyme EX added during crush, when each fermenter is half full it is sprinkled on the surface, then filled the rest of the way. One good mixing before adding the yeast on top, it has plenty time to do its thing before the yeast activate.

Johnd, so you don’t delay pitching at all? Also, do you delay tannins and opti-red (if used)?

Johnd, so you don’t delay pitching at all? Also, do you delay tannins and opti-red (if used)?

No, I do not, by the time the yeast is doing any sugar eating, it's way past 24 hours. I don't use tannins and / or opti-red, with EX-V and allowing my ferments to get into the upper 80's / lower 90's, I've never had an issue with extraction of tannins or color. In fact, I'm thinking of cooling things down a tad this year to make the bigger reds approachable a bit sooner.

I’ve heard that you want to let the enzymes work for 6-8h before pitching. Does that apply to everything (e.g. opti-red and tannins)?

For example is is ok if I add the lallyzme right after crush and then 8h later add the opti-red, tannin and yeast?

Plan on skipping Kmeta unless the grapes look rough.

I do it similar to you. I follow John's lead in adding the Lallyzyme EX midway through filling the fermenter but only wait 4 hours or so before adding the Opti Red. The next day I'll ad the FT Rouge and the rehydrated yeast with Go Ferm. Also like John I don't use sulfites unless the grapes are really bad. The MLF I use is MBR 31 which has a low sulfite tolerance.

Likewise, enzymes have been a game changer. I also don’t use sulfite at crush unless the fruit is poor. My sequence has Lallzyme EX added during crush, when each fermenter is half full it is sprinkled on the surface, then filled the rest of the way. One good mixing before adding the yeast on top, it has plenty time to do its thing before the yeast activate.

John - you do not mix the Ex-V in water first? Just sprinkle it on the must/skins halfway and then at the top of the fermenter?

Latest posts

Back