Enology Question for the Pros..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
Hope this is ok to post here. I have questions that I'm sure can be answered in this forum.

I've been in school for a couple years with the new GI Bill. Just about finished all my prereqs and got an AS. I was all excited to apply to colleges for enology, and actually have gotten an acceptance from one of them.

I'm starting to realize that I haven't asked any questions from folks who know about this line of work, but was just excited about being the guy that makes wine. I know that in CA the wine industry just seems to keep growing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the jobs I'm after are more available.

With the caveat that I understand that I wouldn't be the head guy right out of school, what are the prospects for enology grads for finding jobs in that field out of school? Is it looking like a real struggle, or is it as doable as most fields right now?

I'd greatly appreciate any insight on the issue!! Thanks

G.I. Bill, prereqs, A.S. , enology, gotten! ? ? ? ? ?

"Two countries divided by a single language" George Bernard Shaw

(I'm lead to believe.) Cheers, :h Tony.

:b:b:b

G.I. Bill, prereqs, A.S. , enology, gotten! ? ? ? ? ?

"Two countries divided by a single language" George Bernard Shaw

(I'm lead to believe.) Cheers, :h Tony.

:b:b:b

Haha, yes I can certainly understand how some of these don't translate.

GI Bill is the name of a scholarship of sorts- it is taxpayer funded, and goes to veterans of the Armed Forces for college.
Prereqs (prerequisites, but we often shorten that) are classes that you are required to take prior to taking some other course of study. For me that was what they call "general education" courses (classes that basically all degrees need in the United States- things like English, Critical Thinking, Biology, Math (to different levels depending on your major) and sciences.. Plus some additional Chemistry (that was required by the college I want to transfer to) that the enology department wanted.
A.S.= Associates degree. I don't know if you guys have something like this? It's basically a two year degree that signifies that you are ready to transfer from a community college to a university. A.S. is an associates in science, A.A. is an associates in arts.
Enology- The study of making wine.
Gotten- You had me questioning this one. I actually wondered if it was a real word, and suddenly sounded funny to me as well. I thought you might get a kick out of this. http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/gotten.htm

:b

Last edited:
Getting a job is easy as most wineries increase their staff drastically for harvest. If you're a good worker who catches on quickly and knows your stuff, there is often a good chance of being hired on for the rest of the year. From there, you can move up quickly to lead cellar hand, assistant winemaker and winemaker positions once you have a few vintages under your belt. There is also the opportunity to get harvest experiences in the Southern Hemisphere during the winter months if you're interested in travelling the world.

The key to success in the wine industry is not being afraid to work hard, work long hours, get cold/hot/wet/sore and still have a sense of humour through it all. If you go in with the attitude that you're Mr. Enology degree and that cleaning nasty lees out of drains, cleaning tanks and dumping 30lb picking bins on the sorting table all day for 16 hours are beneath you, you will not last in production.

Visions of romantically swirling your glass in the barrel cellar admiring the latest vintage represent only a tiny fragment of the job... I am the assistant winemaker at a mid-sized winery (30,000 cases) and while I do get to be involved in some cool tastings, etc., here is a list of some of the tasks that fill my average day: driving forklift, driving truck, cleaning everything (tanks, barrels, pumps, hoses, drains, floors, bathrooms, etc.) performing maintenance on equipment and facilities, wine movements (racking, transferring, barreling, etc.), wine additions, filtration, bottling, labelling, lab analysis, supervision and training, health and safety, setting up and cooking our lambs on a spit when we feel like having a BBQ....

Manimal, thanks for sharing the down 'n dirty of the job. From my seat in the house, that sounds wonderful. It beats sitting at a computer and dealing with unsafe employees/uncaring supervisors and still trying to get your job done. I have volunteered to do your job at local wineries for free just to get the experience.

Downwards, don't take this the wrong way, but I would have thought that you would have investigated the job prospects prior to laying out the money for taking classes. I'd like to learn the back of the house business and start my own winery.

Downwards, don't take this the wrong way, but I would have thought that you would have investigated the job prospects prior to laying out the money for taking classes. I'd like to learn the back of the house business and start my own winery.

Since I haven't laid out any money at all towards this, I certainly CAN'T take that the wrong way. Only thing that's happened yet is an acceptance from a college I'm considering. I have lots of time yet to think about it. Edited to be more clear: The classes I've taken so far go towards any other degree as well. I'm also thinking about getting a nursing degree- keeping winemaking a hobby and possibly dreaming of opening something small with retirement. I appreciate what you have to say here, but it isn't my situation. I'm looking into it first.

Thank you Manimal for a very constructive and informed answer! To hear that there's lots of work is just what I was hoping for. What sort of pay should one expect in the lower levels of this line of work? I have no problem with the work you describe, my background is in the culinary world, I know what it is to sort of not be the chef. I think that's what one should expect right away, that you should know you have to earn your spot at the top by proving yourself, not by feeling entitled by a degree.

Other question: do you think there is a great benefit to the degree, or should one just jump in and work and learn on the job?

Also edited to say- any feedback I can get here is incredibly valuable. I'm not one who is just looking to hear what I want to hear. I'd be incredibly grateful to folks who might have seen this, if they would give me some perspective. I've also been talking to folks at local wineries to get more info, but I don't want to jump into anything without hearing all about it.

Last edited:
Down, I took classes in the Enology program last semester to see what I could do after my professional working is over. In enology, the feelings of my classmates were to get the practical experience by working in the biz, then get the classroom and you can understand the bookwork alot more. the classroom is a great place to network too.

Downwards, I am with the State University of NY which is very military "friendly" in general, and my school (Empire State College) in particular. We focus on non traditional students - adult learners with whom we work to help them design their own degrees - (We don't have a fixed curriculum but we also don't have faculty experts in enology). I just want to commend you on getting your degree. It's one thing for 18 year olds to take time off to earn a degree, it's really quite something else for someone who is an adult learner, who needs to fit their study into a regular week of work and family and community and all kinds of other commitments.
I am not sure if there are any good data on the completion rates for students on the GI Bill - It's very difficult to calculate for all kinds of reasons (students begin in one college and then transfer to another, for example and rates of completion are based on the typical 18 year old who takes full class load). But you graduated. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I'll get off my soap box..

Shoe,

I went to Harrisburg community college (HACC). they have classes on line and we went there for 2 weekends for lab work (using the ebulliometer, ripper, etc). I took the intro to enology and wine chemistry classes. I had to back out for this spring's semester, but plan to go back in the fall.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get started. I'm starting to develop a plan though. I don't think I have the money to get a winery up and running but I could get a wine make supply shop off the ground. I'm planning on growing it from there! I can't give up my day job just yet LOL

I have a business plan 99% complete for a winery. If I can get it going part time, I will be ready when I can finally retire to step into winery operator. The HACC program is completed on line and there's a lot of chat and banter on the class websites. I met a lot of great people at class too.

Part of your undergrad should include some sort of research or internship. You can contact some vineyards or look for a list of approved vineyards to intern at through your schools internship coordinator.
You can possibly earn upper level credit while gaining valuable experience.

Hmm, where I am from most of the wineries around me would not have the money to hire someone to make wine. Most of the wineries around me are so small that are family run operations where the head of the household makes the wine and the rest of the family works various jobs at the winery. It all depends on the wine economy in your area I guess though.

Latest posts

Back