Enology course

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cogren4899

Junior
Reaction score
I am in an Enology course and need to know how much sugar to add to my 6 gallon must in order to bring the specific gravity up to that of a semi-sweet Riesling. The current specific gravity is 1.008. I started fermentation yesterday. Thank you!

I think you need to check with your professor on this one because you have a lot of learning to do with the basics before worrying about this. Any wine that began fermenting yesterday would not be at 1.008 already, so I assume you mean 1.080. Next you need to decide if this will be sweetened back after fermentation or if you will try to stop the fermentation. You also need to measure acid levels and pH so you have a better idea of the required sugar level to give you a semi-sweet wine in balance with the sugar and alcohol.

I agree totally with Grapeman. Also you'll probably want to do bench trails to see what level of sugar you like. Where are you taking your class at?

Latest posts

Back